I am new to sewing and quilting so this will be my first show. I have a few questions, is it worth it to take some of the classes and Can someone explain to me what the difference between a One Needle Seminar and so on is? And do any of you go to this show or have you in the past, is it a good place to find things that you can't find anywhere else? I am also interested in Long Arm Sewing eventually because I am going to be working on a King Size scrap quilt through the summer so I want to learn about those machines. Will there be some there?

Views: 110

Replies to This Discussion

I haven't been to this expo in awhile.  You can see a list of vendors at their website https://www.sewexpo.com.  I haven't attended any of the seminars, I usually go to see what is new.  Most of what is there can be found elsewhere once you know it exists.  Also you can usually find discount or free tickets to these events at sew and vac or pacific fabric stores.

I am a longarm quilter and I would recommend that you test drive as many different machines as you can before you select a brand / model.  Also visit with the local dealer as this person will be very important to you.

I go every year.  Between Quilter's Dream Weekend and Expo, its my big sewing vacation.  Because I live about an hour away, I actually stay in a hotel.  Parking is free at expo.  I always take several of the big classes so I can get a chance to test drive the new models in case I have a mind to upgrade.  The classroom models are for sale during expo and the prices are pretty good.  One needle seminars are about 45 minutes in lecture format only.  2 Needle seminars are lecture demos that are a little longer.  3 needle seminars are about 2 hours long and are hands on classes mosty taught by nationally know instructors.  They range in anything from machine embroidery, to sewing and home deco techniques, to hand techniques.  They carry a kit fee which varies and usually have a list of some supplies you should bring in addition to regular sewing notions like scissors and pins.  The 4 needle seminars are like the 3 needle ones only much longer and because of their length, take place only on Wednesday before the show opens and Sunday morning of the show.   The food is regular fair food, but I always make room for the crepes.  The vendors will usually have very good prices, and at least it will save you shipping.  Its nice to see what's new out there.  In the evenings there is usually a large 2 hour show featuring a national speaker.  These shows usually have really nice door prizes.  Each day of the show you can also put your name in a drawing for a nice prize.  There are also many free shows each day--fashion and lecture both.  The organizers do a really great job on this show.  I love it and can't wait!!!

Thank you for the info, I think I am just going to go and check stuff out since this will be my first show. I am so excited!

Hi Catherine, I just joined the group and was noticing your post about the Quilters Big Dream Weekend and Expo. When are those going to be happening? I live on the Key Peninsula near Gig Harbor, WA. Also does anyone compete in the Puyallup fair, either the Spring one or the Big one?, with their quilts? If so where and when do you apply.

Quilter's Dream Weekend happens in April and October and is located in Eatonvill near Puyallup.  For more information here is the website.  www.quiltersdream.us  I don't enter Puyallup, but I have entered in Monroe and gotten some ribbons.  Catherine

Puyallup and Kitsap county fairs are closest for me. So I thought I might enter them for the first time this year. Just for grins and giggles. I do embroidered quilts as well as pieced quilts. So I would like to see what others think of them.

RSS

Welcome Quilters!

MyQuiltPlace.com is brought to you entirely free as a service of the American Quilter's Society. We hope you enjoy meeting one another and sharing your experience and expertise. Enjoy!

American Quilter's Society

--Advertisement--

Badge

Loading…

© 2022   Created by American Quilter's Society.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service