Tell me where the quilt guilds are?????  An underlining question that keeps coming up is about Quilt Guilds.  I know there are many good ones out there. No matter how small the guild tell us about them. We now have group members from all over Tennessee and border state.  Websites info would be good too.  

Views: 355

Replies to This Discussion

Well I will share about the guild I belong to - Smoky Mountain Quilters Guild. We meet the first Tuesday of every month at the Messiah Lutheran Church at the corner of Kingston Pike and Papermill in Knoxville. The social time starts at 6:30 and the program begins at 7:00. We have a large membership, but usually only 60-80 show up for the program each month. Dues are $20 a year. We have an annual quilt show in March (23-25, 2012) at Maryville College. We also host an annual Quilter's Road Show (May 5, 2012) in Townsend at the Heritage Center. We have a sewing day once a month for Ronald McDonald House. Once a year we have a day where we make quilts for Mission of Hope. We have a Quilts of Valor group. Plus 2 bees that meet weekly. We offer workshops a few times a year. You can find out more on our website - www.smokymtnquilters.com. Be sure and check out the pictures from past quilt shows! If I can answer any questions about the quild, send me an email at lsykes@utk.edu.

So glad you posted this discussion, Lalena. I would love to find a quilt guild in my area (Memphis) to connect with other quilters. I am relatively new to quilting. I'm not sure I know what a typical quilt guild is about, but Lynn's comment helped inform me ( if Lynn's guild is "typical" :). Lynn, your guild sounds like a very active one. -

Angie

Angie, check with your local quilt shops.  They will know all about the Guilds in the area.  In my experience, guilds are a lot of fun, some are small and some are large.  But they always have great info. The Smoky Mt Group is very active and a large group.  I belonged to the Palm Springs CA group and it was about 50 members and we put on a nice quilt show.  Go visit your local ones and see what you think.

Angie,

We are very active. The East Tennessee area has a number of active guilds. We are very lucky to have great guilds and fantastic quilt shops in this area.

Thanks Lalena.

I am in Millington north of Memphis and our guild meets every Tuesday  at 10 am at the Baker Community Center in Millington.  We have about 60 members and do a lot of charity work.  At Christmas we provide the Nursing home with stockings and bibs all year round.  We also support the Alpha Omega house in Memphis with quilts and other items they need. We made 126 bags and filled them with razors, socks, paper etc for Christmas.  We have classes when anyone needs to learn a new technique. 

What is Alpha Omega house?

It is a group home that has men who have been in drug or alcohol treatment.  they have nothing but a room.  

Angie, there are a few in Memphis.  I'm new to quilting as well...did you ever join a guild? This is an old post so I figure maybe you have.  I'm thinking of joining one in Germantown but I live in midtown...would love to find one in this area.  Any advise?

Would love to go to one, but I am just learning and these ladies are very good at quilting.

We have beginners and pros in our guild. The wonderful thing about the guild is you get to learn from the pros. They are very generous with their time and love to share their knowledge. You can bring a project to the guild meeting and find lots of people willing to help you over that tough spot. Don't let being a beginner stop you from joining.

Donna, Lynn hit the nail on the head.  Hang out with the pros.  Quilter are the most giving group I have ever met....They love to talk about quilting and love to share.  Don't be shy about your skills.  Just ask a questions about quilting at a guild or this group and you are sure to get a ton of answers....we love to mentor....everyone started somewhere!

RSS

Welcome Quilters!

MyQuiltPlace.com is brought to you entirely free as a service of the American Quilter's Society. We hope you enjoy meeting one another and sharing your experience and expertise. Enjoy!

American Quilter's Society

--Advertisement--

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by American Quilter's Society.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service