Fellow Quilters,  I was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing a batik pineapple block swap. 

I saw a post on facebook that said the pineapple has been considered a sign of hospitality since Colonial Times.  They were so hard to come by during that era that confectioners often rented a single pineapple out to multiple society hostesses over several days to be used as a table centerpiece. A woman's ability to have a real pineapple in her home spoke to her status within the community and, as an extension, her ability to make her guests feel welcome and important.  As a nod to that fabulous history and lets face it because they are just so stinkin' cute I thought it would be super fun to make a pineapple quilt with lost of different pineapples.  I thought a wide variety of different batik fabrics would make the quilt blocks just absolutely beautiful.  So who's in? 

The requirements are simple...

This block swap will be a Batik Pineapple Block.  All experience levels welcome from beginner to expert. Blocks can be either patchwork or appliqué.  All blocks must be in to me no later than May 1st, 2019. We are looking for 12 people to participate.  if you are looking to participate let me know. Once I have a head count of how many people are participating I will let you know how many blocks each person should make.

Rules for the block:

Please wash all your fabric before you begin your project.  I request this to help ensure that colors don't run on the pretty white background fabric and so that you do not have to worry about varying shrinkage. Different fabrics shrink at different rates no matter how good your fabric is.  

Please use good quality fabric.  

Background fabric MUST be White or White on White. NO grey, tan, eucre, eggshell or off white.  White only!!!!!!!

The block size must be 12" finished blocks- (which means that when you mail it to me it should be 12 1/2" x 12 1/2") 

The blocks can be any kind of Pineapple you want as long as you use batik fabrics.

if you have any questions or concerns please let me know.  

Views: 448

Replies to This Discussion

Jean they look great!

Thanks, Anna!

Omg they are so cute. You have inspired me to get to work on mine ASAP. 

Thanks, Jackie.  I still need to appliqué ten of them, but my it was fun putting them together.

Jean, these are so cute.  Where did you find the pattern?  I am still debating as I need to catch up.  But I love pineapples...rather than a quilt I would like table runners, or a bed runner.

Thanks, Wilma.  I thought it up and drew it.  I have made crumb cake quilts before and used that technique for the pineapple’ fruit and then just added the leaves.

I understand the need to make progress on the UFOS.  Hard choice. I.just couldn’t resist the pineapples.

OK, I've seen several things that I could do and many that I love.  Love Jean McCusker's pineapples and may try that or else paper pieced.  Please add me to the list if there is still room.

Yay, Melanie!  Welcome.

Melanie, there is still room and we would love to have you. I will add you to the list. Welcome to the group. 

Hey Ladies, Just checking in to see how everyones pineapples are coming along.  When you are ready to mail them to me message me and I will send you my address. 

Jackie, I am ready to mail my pineapples to you.  Finished all twelve today.

RSS

Welcome Quilters!

MyQuiltPlace.com is brought to you entirely free as a service of the American Quilter's Society. We hope you enjoy meeting one another and sharing your experience and expertise. Enjoy!

American Quilter's Society

--Advertisement--

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by American Quilter's Society.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service