Do you ever make leader and ender quilts?  Do you use scraps or coordinate the fabrics?  I have done both.  I am getting ready to start a new one and I think all this recent discussion on scrap bins (thank you Beth :)) is inspiring me to do a scrappy one this time. 

I would love to know what other quilters do for leader and ender quilts.

If you do not know what I mean, or if you have not tried it, check out this link http://quiltville.com/leadersenders.shtml

Views: 1347

Replies to This Discussion

These are the scraps from my immediate sewing area.

These are cut and sorted to everything under 3".

These are my 3 patch strips laid out into 9 patches.

It all looks so organized, I'm jealous!!!

Deb is right, that looks organized.  Mine are still in bins but taken out when I need them.  I have not put any leaders/enders by sewing machine yet.  I have so many messes, not smart.  I did use up about two to three yards of scraps on a customer onsie/t-shirt quilt this weekend.  Was tough pulling enough brights and took me longer to make the quilt top, but was proud that all the fabric used on the front of the quilt was from my scrap bins and the backing was fabric I had in my stash. 

You gals are funny! The only thing organized is what I pulled out to work with. The rest went back into the pile!LOL

What!!!!  The photos deceived us!  Oh the devastation.  (LOL)

So the truth is you are just like us, they are in a bin waiting and screaming at us to be used and loved.

But have you noticed...No matter how much you use, the pile doesn't diminish? Some times, it even looks bigger!!!

I have to admit that my scraps are getting into line and not all rowdy and out of order like they used to be.  I just have one more huge bin to sort and cut through.  I have it all sorted by strips and squares and have all the crumbs out and in the crumb bin. It has been a lot of long days, but so worth it!

Wow! They look so nice. I don't think I have room for that though. And my body ached from just the little bit I did cut.

I hope your labels are on the inside. My sticky notes kept falling off! 

How big is a crumb?

A crumb for me is under about an inch and a half wide. I usually donate the scraps under 3/4" because with seam allowances.....well, I think you understand. Anything I can string quilt with and paper piece with are also crumbs. That's my next big job, I would love to organize those by color. String blocks are sewing several thin strips of fabric together to make a bigger "piece" of fabric to use.

P. S. The labels are on the inside, I had already lost a couple on the outside and came up with another plan!!!!!

Oh my goodness, that scares me (said with great sarcasm).  They are so neatly organized!!.  If mine ever get to that point, I think hubby would do the jig.  Goal for 2014 is to get my scraps under control.  That means at least 6, but hope 12, scrap quilts to be done next year.  I have several patterns that I want to make and have put into the scrap bins so they are there and I can just grab and go.  Edyta Star patterns are on the top of the list.  I have been eyeing a couple for a while and have her books. 

RSS

Welcome Quilters!

MyQuiltPlace.com is brought to you entirely free as a service of the American Quilter's Society. We hope you enjoy meeting one another and sharing your experience and expertise. Enjoy!

American Quilter's Society

--Advertisement--

Badge

Loading…

© 2022   Created by American Quilter's Society.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service