I love doing redwork (well all kinds of embroidery really)  I am just now starting to include it in my quilts.  I have several patterns waiting for me!  I would love to know what threads people use for their redwork.  I wonder what holds up best in a quilt that will be washed.  I have never done a redwork piece that will be washed!  Even more important how color fast are your choices?  I have used DMC floss (2 strands) for finer work and Aurifil 50wt when I want very strong/bold lines.

Looking forward to benefit from everyone's experience!

Views: 238

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks, I will get a spool and try it, I am always open for some other way of doing things. I did not see any 30 wt in either of the threads, is it heavier or thinner?

30 weight is more like a sewing thread and is much thinner. In threads the higher the number the thinner the thread is. For example, a silk thread, YLI, Medeira, or Superior, is 100 weight. Very thin, strong enough to use for machine quilting and thin enough to use for invisible applique. I also use the Sulky 12 weight in my machine for blanket stitching around fusible applique. I spend a lot of money on threads and use them in a lot of different ways. My needles are as important. The thinner the thread the smaller the needle, and vice/versa. 

Diana I started using DMC Floss I still use it for some projects. I found I Like Sulky, or Aurifil 12 wt for most of my Redwork and Blue work. I have been making small Christmas ornaments for the past 2 years for my quilting buddies. I am also working on a few designs from Bird Brain Designs. Hope that answers your question. Luann

I'll have to look for the Aurifil, didn't know it came in 12 weight. Thanks!

I have a huge collection of hand dyed pearl cotton No 8, love the effects and seeing the colours change, it's beautiful to work with too.

Ooooooo, hand dyed! Yummy! I love hand dyed anything! Hopin to get to a store sometime this month to check out some pearl cottons. Just have to get through some of these storms! I'm in the Northeast and we are having our 2nd of three starting in the wee morning hours.... But I have much to keep me busy!

Diana, the ones I use come from Africa and are called House of Embroidery threads, she does silk, stranded cotton, perle cotton, and rayon. It's beautiful and so lovely to work with. I bought it with me when I moved from South Africa to England.

Are they

RSS

Welcome Quilters!

MyQuiltPlace.com is brought to you entirely free as a service of the American Quilter's Society. We hope you enjoy meeting one another and sharing your experience and expertise. Enjoy!

American Quilter's Society

--Advertisement--

Badge

Loading…

© 2022   Created by American Quilter's Society.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service