Taming my newly huge stash, thanks in LARGE part to my quilter/hoarder/never-part-with-an-inch-of-leftover-fabric thrifty mom (who taught me WELL!) I've been culling our newly-combined out-of-control stashiness into a relative semblance of order and control (focus on word "relative!)... Over the past week I've made up 46 quick pet beds that I hope to delver tomorrow to one of our local no-kill pet shelters, just in time for our early March cold snap here in the mountains. Each takes a half yard or less of fabric (We all have some! You know the kind -- Old, ugly, screaming 1970s or 1980s, low quality, What-was-I-thinking-when-I-actually-paid-money-for-that fabric. You know...you've got some too!) ...stuffed with already-been-cut-up, good-for-nothing fabric, batting scraps and free motion practice samples...
OK, enough with the hyphens; you get the point! At any rate, I had a lot of said fabric and scraps but couldn't bear to put them in the landfill! So I put them to use instead...this batch is going to the Feline Urgent Rescue of Haywood County, NC. I'm not really a cat person - terribly allergic, but love all our furry friends. I hope my excess scraps help give comfort to a displaced pet in need of a little love! What's in your scrap basket?
Hugs!!!

Views: 26

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Scraps of scraps! l save mine up until the bag is full. Then l turn a pillowcase inside out ( old/ugly/orphaned) & pencil mark the 1/2 way.I fill bottom half of case. stitch along the pencilled line, fold the rest of the case ( thus covering the stuffed area again) and shove stuffed area back out of way while stitching the "cuffed" edge of pillowcase shut.The outer layer shows the right side of case ( not that it matters). Our quilting group gets donations of pillowcases for this, and we all save our bits.The local shelter has asked that we do not include bits of batting, yarn , thin stringy pieces, as distressed animals will tear appart /chew and so could choke. When we have a cupboard full, they are brought to the shelter at Lady Lake where they are gratefully received.

Great tips! I'll definitely consider that next time I make pet beds!

RSS

Welcome Quilters!

MyQuiltPlace.com is brought to you entirely free as a service of the American Quilter's Society. We hope you enjoy meeting one another and sharing your experience and expertise. Enjoy!

American Quilter's Society

--Advertisement--

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by American Quilter's Society.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service