Hi Ladies!

I think a good place to start is with an introduction. Tell us a little about yourself, how did you begin quilting, where do you like to buy your quilting supplies.

I'll start:

I'm Sue from Raleigh. I have only been quilting just over a year. I joined a crafting group in Cary soon after I moved to Raleigh and a few of the girls in the group quilted. I had always wanted to learn how to quilt and the ladies from the group were very supportive. I bought a used sewing machine and made my first quilt, a pin-wheel baby quilt. I like to shop at Quilts Like Crazy in Wake Forest and when I need a quilt quilted I will take it to Whatever's Quilted in Wake Forest. I look forward to talking to you ladies!

Views: 465

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Sue,

I live in Haywood Cty. In Canton.  I have been quilting for 34 years. I started with my grandmother and mom doing hand sewing of pieces then finishing with hand quilting. As of last year my wonderful husband blessed me with a sweet sixteen long arm quilter. I love it.  I am a member of the Blue Ridge Mountain Quilt Guild where I do all their publicity work and write, edit and publish their newsletter. We do mostly charity work for those in Haywood Cty and the V.A hospital in Asheville.

I also work as a chaplain for hospice and get such a blessing when I give a patient a lap quilt.

Thank you for starting this group in NC. We have needed one for a long time.

God bless

Rev. Traci

Hi Traci! Welcome to the group! What fond memories you must have learning to quilt with your mother and grandmother!  I wish I had learned to sew while my grandmother was still alive, but unfortunately I finally decided to jump into it about 2 years after she passed. I have only been sewing and quilting for about a year and a half I think. My Great-Aunt guides me occasionally through Facebook and my Aunt helps support my addiction by sending boxes of books and patterns and notions because she buys so many of them that she cycles them out occasionally. I also found a crafting group near me that luckily most of the women quilt. I used to be the lone cross stitcher while they quilted! They have been very helpful and supportive while I learn!

Your work with the VA must be such a blessing and comfort for those patients! The lap quilts are a great idea to give them something they can hold on to when they need comfort.

Sue

Hello Traci! It's great to meet you.  It sounds like you are really busy, and blessed with your quilting.  I know where Canton is.  It's beautiful.  You are lucky to live in such a pretty setting.  

Have a super day!

Jennifer

Hi.....my name is Connie and I live in Rutherfordton, NC.  That is about halfway between Asheville and Charlotte.  I moved here 10 years ago from Southern California.....and I absolutely love North Carolina.  I have been quilting for close to 30 years now.  I love to hand quilt but don't find much time to do that.  I have collected a number of antique quilts over the years....too many to count.  I am a traditional quilter (mostly) but love to step "out of my box" every now and then.  Batiks have become my favorite lately.  I belong to two quilt guilds.......Rutherford Quilt Guild and Landrum Quilters in South Carolina.  I work part-time (Wednesdays) in a quilt shop in Landrum (SC) called Elaine's Attic.....exit 1 off Interstate 26.  Come visit me!  

Hi Connie! Welcome to the group! Next time I am out that way I will definitely stop in the store to add to my stash and visit you!

I would love to visit you, too, Connie!  I've never been to Elaine's Attic.  Maybe someday.....

Hi, I'm Chris.

I live in Erwin, next to Dunn.   I've been sewing, quilting for years and have gotten into machine embroidery and I love combining them.   Isn't Donna awesome, Wahtever's Quilted!   (I am a HQ owner)   I have recently started quilting for others and I am thoroughly enjoying it (LA).   I love making quilts except for cutting them out, I always mess up, lol...

I have 4 horses, 1 grandbaby, 2 adult kids and the list goes on, lol.....

I'm excited to find a group of local ladies.

Hi Chris! I love Donna at Whatever's Quilted! I take all of my quilts to her for quilting!

Hi all,

I thought I'd put up my intro some time ago but I don't see it so here goes.  I'm Ann from Wilmington, NC - lived here since the early 1970s, prior was in Chapel Hill and Asheville (I use to work for Holiday Inn and moved around a bit - I was still single then and could do such things! :) ) 

I'm married to a restaurant owner, he is of German descent and has had a German restaurant for the last 30 yrs in downtown Wilmington - The German Cafe. We have one daughter who is a freshman at UNC Carolina - I love getting to go up to Chapel Hill and the Raleigh/Durham area as there are so many great quilt shops around! I attended the Capital Quilter's show back in March - that was really nice, brought home some lovely things for my stash heehee.

I've been sewing for 50+ years, quilting since 1990, I do sew clothing as well - for me as well as the dolls I collect. I sew on a Pfaff QE 4.2 purchased as a Christmas present to myself last year from My Sewing Shoppe in Raleigh - LOVE it!  I FMQ on a Brother 1500s straight stitch machine. I also have in the corral a vintage Singer 15-91 that belonged to a great aunt, it is a workhouse and does a beautiful straight stitch and the feed dogs can be lowered for FMQ. I have Singer Featherweight that was my Moms, she passed last year, it was the machine I learned to sew on so many years ago.
Last is my old Pfaff 6122 Tipmatic, although she is old and mechanical she still sews strong and probably will be for a long time after the computer boards go out on my 4.2!

I love all kinds of quilts from traditional to primitive to modern to funky - you name it and I love them all!  I try to go to as many regional shows as I can, and one large show per year if my budget allows. I still work full time so have to work around the job too, drat it all!  My next big show will be the AQS show in Charlotte at the end of July - anyone here going?  It should be a good one since it is AQS.

And last, a plug for my guild. We are hosting the North Carolina Quilt Symposium this year on the beautiful campus of UNCW! May 29th to June 1st with a whole bunch of incredible teachers, some of who are nationally recognized, such as: Paula Nadelstern, Jane Sassaman, Barbara Shapel, Linda J Hahn, Lorraine Torrence and many many more. There is a quilt show and vendors too. Since we're on the ocean you can combine a the event with beach time too!

Here's the link to our website: NCQS 2014  Hope to see y'all there, pass the word around, we'd love to have a full house this year!

Hi Ann! It's nice to "meet" you. Will you be coming to Raleigh for the Quilting and sewing expo in June?

Good Evening!

Yes, I hope to go for the day on Saturday, how about you?

I'm probably going on Friday. My wedding anniversary is the Saturday so my husband and I will be celebrating

RSS

Welcome Quilters!

MyQuiltPlace.com is brought to you entirely free as a service of the American Quilter's Society. We hope you enjoy meeting one another and sharing your experience and expertise. Enjoy!

American Quilter's Society

--Advertisement--

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by American Quilter's Society.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service