OK all, I have the first question.

What kind of sewing machine do you use for your quilting? I have a basic Brother sewing machine, which limits the size quilts I can make. I am thinking of getting a "real" quilting machine.

What do you use and do you like it?

Views: 1164

Replies to This Discussion

I have Berninas - more than one so I can leave one set up for work and the other to take to classes I teach.   A good machine makes a difference when you do a lot of machine quilting - be sure to get one with all the appropriate feet, and a straight stitch throat plate makes a cleaner line of stitches.....
I have a Bernina 1080 that I used for everything. Last year I purchased a Juki TL98Q. I use it without a frame and I love it. Now I only use my 'nina for small things like pot holders and mug rugs.

Hi Jacqui,

When I first started quilting I used a Brother BC 2500 now I think it's throat plate is about 5.5 inches and I'm probably being generous. I made my first large quilt on it measured 2.20 metres square and I was certainly very surprised how it turned out!!!!  But nevertheless don't exclude your machine quite so soon.  Here's a picture of it for your information.I was never able to roll it in the machine so I pushed and repositioned every now and then and got the results.  However it is a dream to work on my Pffaf Quilt Expression 4.0.  It does so many wonderful things too.  But I don't get sore shoulders, neck pain as much.  I suggest you talk to your store representative and do as many trials as possible.  Don't rush your decision take your time because time your have plenty of but you may be on a tight budget and once it's gone it's gone.  An other important tip have fun while doing it.  Take in a block or try some fmq on the machine try before you really buy.  Julie Beard

I have used my Bernina Artista 200E and liked it's feature of needle down but then I got a Viking Saphire 875 Quilt with the 10" throat and I love it! I machine quilt all my quilts and some for other people. I love to use variegated Superior thread.

I love both of my Bernina sewing machines- i don't think I will ever change to another company unless something drastic happens.  I know they cost more but after buying a couple of cheap machines that feel apart in under a year I went with quality over cost.  I have never regretted the money I spent.  I bought one- used bernina 153, and one new bernina 440 QE.  Both work perfectly.

My husband got me a 6600 Elna Quilting and Sewing machine about 6 years ago, and I absolutely love it, it is wonderful. I can quilt, sew, or make anything with little effort. Elna was bought out by Janome, and he bought me a smaller Janome to take if I go to the grandkids and need to sew. I love both of these brands, and would recommend these to anyone. Carolyn H

I love my Elna Quilter's Dream 6300.  I do most of my sewing on this machine, and I have quite a few to choose from.  It's my favorite!

I have been using my Janome 6600 to do FMQ but on Saturday I am having a Babylock Tiara III midarm (16" throat) delivered.  (Sitdown version not on rails).  looking forward to beginning to use this with so much space.

Problems with delivery last Saturday and now will arrive on Friday.

Well I now have the midarm Babylock Tiara III and love it.  Still need lots of practice but I am enjoying it.

RSS

Welcome Quilters!

MyQuiltPlace.com is brought to you entirely free as a service of the American Quilter's Society. We hope you enjoy meeting one another and sharing your experience and expertise. Enjoy!

American Quilter's Society

--Advertisement--

Badge

Loading…

© 2022   Created by American Quilter's Society.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service