What did you make for your very first quilt?  Or if you are making your first one now, what is it?  For my very first quilt I made a lap size Log Cabin.  I used the book, "Log Cabin in a Day" by Eleanor Burns.  That book is what taught me the basics of quiltmaking.  My second book ("Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting") is the one that I still refer to when I want to learn something new.  It's the best all-around quilt book I've come across.  I have one like it by Fons and Porter, but it's not nearly as detailed.

Views: 1474

Replies to This Discussion

I have question and I really, really hope i get the help. I'm looking for a pattern of a light house or light houses on the sea or something along that line or boats. Get my drift? My husband will be the next quilt that i make. I've found a pattern but not sure if its right one. I've seen so many beautiful ones here.

Here's a link:

http://free-quilt-patterns.net/paper-pieced/Lighthouse3.html

A lot of times when I'm trying to find a particular pattern, I will Google what I'm looking for and click "Images" on the left of the screen.  That takes me to a lot of pictures.  Look at the pictures and click the ones that look interesting.  It will take you to the website where the picture is found.  That's how I found the one above.

Susan, I found a really cute ocean themed quilt pattern at this site; on sale for $9.00.

http://quiltwoman.com/a-summer-evening-quilt-pattern.aspx

This pattern is for a rather small quilt, but you could ad lib by adding extra blocks for the sides and then wide borders to get a larger quilt.  You could even do log cabin blocks in various sailing colors along the sides with solids in between the blocks.  It would be beautiful, I'm sure.  This is a downloadable pattern, so you would get it immediately.

With all the landscape fabrics that are available today, it would look really cool to have some water fabrics or stones like they have along the sides of the harbor.  Maybe some blocks that look like the sun shining.  I really liked this pattern, loved the texture added by using different tone on tone blues for the background.  You can always make a quilt larger by adding borders to it, or even two borders with a border of blocks in between.  You don't have to follow the pattern exactly.  I seldom do.

This is a picture of it.

Thank you so very much for this quilt design. I really like this one. Its so great to be on this site with everyone. Thanks again Karen.

I can't remember if I shared this quilt or not, so I apologize if I already have.  I just finished and presented this quilt to my daughter for her birthday.  I call it a "talking quilt" because all of the little pieces of fabric have quotes about adoption on them.  All three of my children were adopted and my daughter has an adopted son as well.  She loves bright colors and assymetrical things.  I couldn't wait to give it to her.  When I got it back from the long arm quilter, it made me cry, I was so happy with it.  She was touched too because I think I got about 5 or 6 hugs!!

This is simply stunning, what a wonderful heirloom you have made!!

This is a close up of one of the quotes.  I just loved these.  They have them for different relationships; sisters, adoption, etc.

This is wonderful...Quilting is so amazing because quilts can touch the heart in so many different ways.  Great job!

My first quilt was a crib blanket and very simple.  9 square blocks and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get them to line up.  I still have trouble with that.  But it turned out great and my friend loved it. 

My first quilt is a log cabin quilt from "Log Cabin in a Day" too! I say "is" because I'm still working on it. I still need to bind it.

I can't quilt at home because my Janome machine is pretty small, so I go to the local quilt shop for the "open quilting" workshops once a week and use their fancy machine. I also just love going there and meeting new people, talking, listening, and learning from them.

I decided to learn to quilt because my grandma, 90 years old, has been a hand quilter since her 50's. I have always loved her quilts, but never even thought to start making my own until I watched "Craft in America" on PBS, heard the stories of the old-time hand-quilters, and said to myself "I must do that." So I went and started taking classes. I machine quilt and will probably never hand-quilt because of a wrist problem. But I have already learned so much in just a couple of months!  In fact, out of my scraps from the log cabin quilt, I am making a scrappy star table runner. I'm proud of it so far. My 1/4" seams are so much better and my rotary cutting is straight!

I truly hope I have inherited my grandma's color sense. She has a whole box of scraps she is going to give me and is so proud that at least one of her granddaughters is finally quilting!

I made a rail fence in a class I took but it is not finished , I need to back it and bat it ( hmmm that sounds wierd) I am not sure how to finish I may just end up tying it off just to have it finished I know my mother in law will help me if I do. I have lotsa  of quilting books and always am looking for new classes to take at our locat quilting store, I am not very diciplined, I also did some crazy quilting blocks not sure what I want to do with them yet thinking maybe incorporate them into a memory quilt have had some sucess in printing pictures to fabric I love sewing and the feel of fabric I used to sew continuously but have not done much lately

hey 1 welcome to the club, there are lots of us who have projects unfinished.  puttting the top, bat and backing together for quilting is called sandwiching!  A task I find challenging since I don't do it until I have decided how to quilt a top, and that's the challenge for me!  I can sew together a top in no time, My favorite part, but I always stall when I get to the quilting part.

RSS

Welcome Quilters!

MyQuiltPlace.com is brought to you entirely free as a service of the American Quilter's Society. We hope you enjoy meeting one another and sharing your experience and expertise. Enjoy!

American Quilter's Society

--Advertisement--

Badge

Loading…

© 2022   Created by American Quilter's Society.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service