I have been given some beautiful wool fabrics and I was thinking of making a wool quilt for my grandson. Have any of you made a quilt with wool fabric. I was thinking of using flannel for the backing and sashing. Also what is a good pattern that would work well with my wool.

Views: 386

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i would only put flannel on the back if your grandson is very cold-blooded or lives in a very cold climate. ;-) i made a memory quilt for my father using his father's Pendleton wool shirt collection. i put flannel on the back & used batt. it is such a warm quilt that my father can seldom use it, even though he lives in Colorado. ~~~hahaha~~~ i also made 2 wool shirt collection memory quilts for a man to give his wife & his daughter. they also came out super warm, but that worked out ok since wife was cold ALL the time & daughter lived waaay up in New England.

Ok, thanks for the good advice. What if I don't use batting? Do you always have to have batting? My Grandson is going to college in northern Iowa.

i have used batt, flannel, & cotton as quilt "center" layer. my grandmother was a quilter and she often used old blankets or old sheets as her center layer.

Thank you. I appreciate your comment.

Do you have several different colors?  If so, I'd make an easy pattern, such as the Yellow Brick Road http://www.fatquartershop.com/store/stores_app/browse_item_details....

and I'd use plain flannel for the batting and regular quilting cotton for the backing.

i've not used flannel as batt in a wool quilt, but i have used it as batt & it makes a nice thinner, lighter quilt.

RSS

Welcome Quilters!

MyQuiltPlace.com is brought to you entirely free as a service of the American Quilter's Society. We hope you enjoy meeting one another and sharing your experience and expertise. Enjoy!

American Quilter's Society

--Advertisement--

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by American Quilter's Society.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service