Ok, I am new to this- the whole discussion online groups thing...

I do not do Facebook, have heard of the "Friends" thing.

On this on-line discussion group we "add friends"- I really have no idea what this means. Honestly. Being able to communicate with so many wonderful people is a joy.

I feel like the new kid in the school yard..does one only communicate with "friends?" How does that work? What does it mean to "add a friend", what IS a "friend" in this context?

Anyone?

Thanks-

ellen

Views: 105

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been around here for a few months now, and I am still not sure about the "friend" thing here.  I read the posts and sometimes reply.  I think it is required to be a friend if you want to send a private message to someone in particular.  If your posts are to be directed to everyone, I think it isn't necessary to become friends with any individuals.  Maybe I'm missing a big piece of the puzzle. 

I have had a few questions about different things here, and I have not found any place to click that will take me to an answer, so I'm thinking the best thing to do is ask like you just did. 

Thanks, Sal-

I think this is  whole new tech world!  And I don't get it either. I love being able to learn and share in this series of forums (or is it one forum?) 

How does one make a friend one never actually meets? What is the difference between an online "friend" and a real in person friend who has stood by one's side in person through thick and thin? 

It's all confusing!

I hope we get some answers from alot of people!

ellen

I have made friends with several people on this site that I have never met; Garnie Bethea, QuilterBridget, Patricia Loquet, to name a few.  I am hoping to make many more.  Some of my online friends I consider to be more real than some of my "in-person" friends who are more like acquaintances.  Through facebook, I have reconnected with friends from elementary school, middle and senior high school, past jobs, and made friends with others that share the same passions and interests as me.

So, Ellen, I would like to introduce myself.  My name is Suzanne Montgomery.  I live in Dallas where it has been so blasted hot this summer it is dangerous to wear rubber flip-flops.  They tend to melt to the pavement if you stand in one place too long.  I have been married to my high school beau for 32 years next week and we have 4 fabulous kids.  I have 19yo twins (DD and DS), a 25yo DS and a 29yo DS.  We are especially proud of our 19yo son who is a sophmore at Texas A&M in the Corp of Cadets.  When he graduates, his intention is to join the Marine Corp as an officer. 

After finding a certificate in my name as the Top Crafter in the 2nd grade at Tecumseh Elementary among my mom's papers, I realized creating things has been in my blood for a long time.  I made my first quilt in 3rd grade when my mother gave me fabric scraps, needle and thread to keep my hands busy.  You see, I had the chicken pox and would not stop scratching.  I don't paint or draw coz stick figures just don't appeal to many people but creating something fabulous from various pieces and parts really floats my boat.  My passion is quilting, though.  I love playing with fabric and patterns.  Yep, I am a chip carrying member of FFA, Fabric Fondlers Anonymous, where there is no 12-step program.  I think you earn chips as your stash increases.

I own my own business, AccountAbility.  We are a small-business accounting and office administration company.  About 4 years ago, I decided I no longer wanted to work for anyone else where I couldn't go to work in my PJ's.  That kinda eliminates ALOT of employers.  Since I had been doing books for a couple of people in my spare time for awhile, I figured, why not?  I have been blissfully busy ever since. (And yes, I am still in my PJ's as I am typing this.)

That is probably enough for now.  I look forward to getting to know you and everyone else on this site.

Have a blessed day!

Suzanne

Thank you! ALL! Whew, Suzanne- where do I start?? I'll copy this to you because I can't type the same thing 3 times!

I ama retired middle school special educator. One husband (at a time), Three "kids" between us: 40, 41, and 42. Three grandchildren: 5,8,16. One 9 yr old Jack Russell Terrier, named Jack.

I recently lost my dad, who would have been 103 on the 29th of September. He was with us these past 5 yrs, since mom passed. He was at home, sharp and healthy, until his body just got tired. I bless the Pallative care the VNA gave us that allowed him to be home through the end.

Dad had a dress business in Boston, and I began my sewing by picking up pins from the factory floor with a "giant" magnet. He would bring me home scraps and I sewed doll clothes and anything I could think of. I mention him because he was so proud of my quilting- and we just finished a redo of the room he used at our house and made it my quilting room. I feel blessed by his presence when I am in there.

I have three years and about 25 quilts under my belt. I just love it. My husband has made one, too!

I'll stop here- too much information! I think this friend thing will be fun!

ellen

Yes, this is a tech world we are in.  Luckily I have a pretty good understanding of computers as that was my area of expertise in the last several years I worked before my retirement.  Even with a good understanding of computers, it doesn't take long to be on the outside looking in wondering... how do I do that.

Regarding online friends that you don't actually meet, I kind of look at it like we used to look at pen pals.  My sister had an online quilting friend from Australia for several years.  That friend made a trip to the US and made arrangements in her trip plan to be able to visit with my sister.  It was an awesome experience for her.  It was like meeting an old friend.  They had exchanged a multitude of experiences and knowledge that was invaluable even if they had never physically had the opportunity to meet in person.  So even if you never get the chance to meet, you can make some really neat friends online... Just have to use a little caution with sharing personal information.  Most that you encounter on a quilt group are pretty cool people, but there are some that infiltrate where they are not wanted.

Nothing can replace your "real" person friends... but I have made some good quilting friends in online forums like this.  I met one lady who lived in Texas when I was still in Ohio, and when we made a trip to look for our new home in Texas, I made arrangements to meet her.  She is a great lady and we are still very good friends, but I would not have had that opportunity if not for the embroidery user group I was in online. I have also made a mini road-trip from Texas to Mississippi with a couple other local quilting friends to have a lady that I met in an online quilt group show us around her town there in MS.  She was awesome. 

I have many friends from online groups that I will never have the opportunity to meet, but that is OK.  We still can help each other out, share stories and knowledge.  Find answers to questions that you would have no one else to ask that might have a clue... and did I tell you about my grandchildren???

Hope you are enjoying... Sallie

Sallie,

Please do tell us about your grandchildren.  I only have one and he is the light of my life.  I now know why they are called GRAND-children.

Suzanne

Well, grand-children is a very big area of discussion... we are expecting number 12 in November.  The oldest is going to be 14 soon, and we have a set of twins in there.  They are spread all across the country, so we don't get to see some of them very often.

Thank you! ALL! Whew Sal,  where do I start?? I'll copy this to you because I can't type the same thing 3 times!

I ama retired middle school special educator. One husband (at a time), Three "kids" between us: 40, 41, and 42. Three grandchildren: 5,8,16. One 9 yr old Jack Russell Terrier, named Jack.

I recently lost my dad, who would have been 103 on the 29th of September. He was with us these past 5 yrs, since mom passed. He was at home, sharp and healthy, until his body just got tired. I bless the Pallative care the VNA gave us that allowed him to be home through the end.

Dad had a dress business in Boston, and I began my sewing by picking up pins from the factory floor with a "giant" magnet. He would bring me home scraps and I sewed doll clothes and anything I could think of. I mention him because he was so proud of my quilting- and we just finished a redo of the room he used at our house and made it my quilting room. I feel blessed by his presence when I am in there.

I have three years and about 25 quilts under my belt. I just love it. My husband has made one, too!

ellen

Hi Ellen,  I am Garnie.  I live in Atlanta, GA.  I started quilting at the beginning of the year through a class at my senior activity center.  I have a few UFOs to finish, whenever I can get back to them. 

I'm not sure about the reason for the 'add a friend'. I just know it's fun.  So don't let it worry you.  Just have fun with it.  You can send anyone a private message and we do a lot of talking through the groups and the forum. 

PS... just sent you  a friend request (smile :)  )

Thank you! ALL! Whew, Garnie- where do I start?? I'll copy this to you because I can't type the same thing 3 times!

ellen

RSS

Welcome Quilters!

MyQuiltPlace.com is brought to you entirely free as a service of the American Quilter's Society. We hope you enjoy meeting one another and sharing your experience and expertise. Enjoy!

American Quilter's Society

--Advertisement--

Badge

Loading…

© 2022   Created by American Quilter's Society.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service