This is NOT a quilt topic, but a few people have wanted some of my bread recipes I use.

First, for starters, you can make your own, or buy a dehydrated version from an online source. The one I started 3 yrs ago was given to me by a friend and it was an Italian Sourdough .. it just keeps getting better with time.

Making your own starter ~~  there are quite a few online sourdough sources, www.thefreshloaf.com is one of my favorites.

Also, Peter Rineheart is an amazing breadmaker and he has a website / blog .. and I can't remember all of them off the top of my head, but do a google for sourdough and you'll come up with all kinds of things.

A starter recipe I found, done in steps:

1:  Mix 3 1/2 T whole wheat flour with 1/4 c unsweetened pineapple juice. Cover and set aside for 48 hrs at room temp. Stir vigorously 2-3x/day. (*Unsweetened in this case means 'no sugar added')

2: Add to the above 2 T whole wheat flour and 2 T pineapple juice. Cover and set aside for a day or two. Stir vigorously 2-3x/day. You should see some activity of fermentation within 48 hrs. If you don't, you may want to toss this and start over (or go buy some!)

3: Add to the above 5 1/4 T whole wheat flour and 3 T purified water. Cover and set aside for 24 hrs.

4: Add 1/2 c whole wheat flour and 1/4 to 1/3 c purified water. You should have a very healthy sourdough starter by now.

If you don't want to use whole wheat, you can use any UNBLEACHED, UNBROMATED flour ~~ I try to use anything but all purpose.  Another one I want to try is using Spelt flour and/or almond trying to get away from wheat in general, but I just haven't yet.

*To use sourdough in ANY recipe, you will always add at least 1/2 to 1c of starter.  You can just reduce liquids in the recipe by the amount of sourdough starter you add.  That is all you need to know.  I have made substitutions in corn bread, biscuits, buttermilk breads (especially for cinnamon rolls) .. it's all awesome ~

And I don't do the whole kneading thing anymore, but follow the artisan bread in 5 min a day method ~~ whip / stir and be done with it.  After the dough has had it's rise, I do do a few stretch / folds / kneads for a few minutes, but nothing like 10-15. It always works.

I feed my starter in say mid afternoon, when it is up and bubbly, I replace my 1 cup back to the frig and will use the other cup to make whatever dough I am going to do mid-late afternoon. I will let any dough I make sit overnight to rise to it's full potential and bake breads the following day. Sourdough needs to rise a full 12-18 hours. 

Feeding sourdough:

Sourdough needs to be used 1+ times per week. Instead of making more than one loaf at a time, I will make only one so I can feed my sourdough and have it be fresher each time.

To feed, I don't use purified water. I have a purifier on my tap, and I keep my kettle on the stove full. I will heat the kettle for 3 minutes to get it to maybe lukewarm and add 3/4 c water and 1 c flour to feed the sourdough. I leave it covered on the counter for 3-4 hrs or until it's good and bubbly, which means it active. While stored in the fridge, the culture will eat all the flour you add and get a film on top, or hooch.  This can just be stirred back in for a stronger flavor, or poured off. I have done it both ways. Lately I have been pouring it off and reducing my sourdough addition to 1/2 c vs 1 c.

Waffles ~~ here are 2 recipes. One can be done the morning of making, the other has to sit overnight ..

Version #1 ~ Make and eat NOW

1 c all purpose flour

1 1/2 t baking powder

2 T sugar

1 t salt

2 eggs

1/2 c milk

1 c sourdough starter

3 T butter, melted

Stir milk into starter, add flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and eggs.  Add melted butter. Mix well.

Cook in waffle iron ~~ enjoy !!

Version #2  From Annie's Eats (and this is delicious!)

For overnight sponge:

2 c all purpose flour

2 T sugar

2 c buttermilk

1 c starter, straight from the fridge (not fed)   *I only keep one 1 c starter, so I have to feed my starter, then replace my cup in my pint mason jar and put the OTHER cup in the fridge before I do this so it is technically UNFED

To make the sponge:

Combine flour, sugar, uttermilk and starter in a large mixing bowl. Mix well to blend. Cover and let rest overnight at room temp.

For the waffles:

2 large eggs

1/4 c melted butter

All of the overnight sponge

3/4 t salt

1 t baking soda

When you are ready to make the waffles, preheat waffle iron.

In small bowl or liquid measuring cup, combine eggs and butter. Add to the sponge.

Mix in salt and baking soda, stirring well to combine. The batter will bubble.

Pour batter into waffle iron and bake ..

*I make 1/2 of this recipe for 1-2 people.  OR you can have waffles for several days  :-D

Hope you like these ~~ will make another discussion on biscuits, cornbread and my favorite no-fail bread loaf ...

Dee

Views: 180

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am making my starter tomorrow!  I am so excited!  I wonder how the bread would raise in a bread machine? You mentioned using almond flour--doubt you get a good texture or a raised product because the protein in the almond flour doesn't expand to trap the gas like wheat flour. 

i used to use rice, almond and various different nutritious flour products for my muffins, cookies, breads etc. these specialty flours take experimenting with, things backed w them could be dry, not rise, tasteless. because of the nature of sourdough starter i would sometimes add a bit of quick rising yeast. the moisture content, foods (salt, sugar etc) needed to get a good rise varied. lots of experimentation. cooking for a child that seemed too sensitive to too many things. so i kept sugars to a minimum. but he loved all the things i created for him. so did his dad and i and the nieghbors. the successful experiments, that is :)) ...the failures were just tossed. having chickens or hogs, as i did as a teen, would have been nice :))

Do a google search on sourdough in a bread machine ~~ i'm sure there is someone out there that has done it. I do not have a bread machine and use the artisan bread in 5 min a day method .. i do all the likwid first, sugar, salt .. miks well and then do flour. i also have a bread flour miksing thing from king Arthur Flour .. it is a bread spatula of sorts with holes that works wonders when adding the flour in. Better than a spoon of any kind.

But the sourdough is what is the gassy part ~~ i'm not sure about almond flour .. i may try a spelt flour to get away from wheat .. what i really need to do is grind my own wheat berries ..

my hubby won't even eat my bread .. it has sourdough in it .. I have now halved the sourdough in a recipe so that it doesn't smell sooooo sour after a couple of days .. Since i am the only one eating it, i only use a few slices a week, the flock helps me eat mine. i prefer to give them bread treats with no chemicals and that's homemade stuff vs store bought ..

let me know how your starter comes out ~~

i can't make bread where i live now. used to make it all the time. invented a lot of things like you do also. my current oven is worn out...smells like burnt wires...use it as seldom as possible ie-almost never. but what you said about hubs & sour dough...my guy complained about everything being too sour - pancakes, english muffins, bread. ...lollol my son & i ate it mostly. we both loved the unique flavor of the sourdough treats we made.

Karen you could certainly allow the sourdough to rise for a while in a bread machine but you would have to turn it off before it starts to bake. sourdough needs very long rise times. like 8 hours or even more if you live in a cold climate.  then punch it down some and let re- rise at least 6 hours. it takes time but is well worth it.

I  am a bread baker too!!  both regular and sourdough. my starter is two years old. I am going to make a new one though. I neglected mine too long and I was unable to ''wash'' the starter out to get the nail polish remover taste out. :( I think I may order some gold rush starter. my cousin brought me back some starter from California and to my dismay I have hidden it from myself somewhere. lol  I have a loaf ont he cabinet now and made some wonderful rolls for thanksgiving.  thanks for sharing, I may have to give this one a try. every area's yeast is different. so anyone who makes there own starter will have a bread that tastes local. that's the fun thing. you can also make a starter with organic red grapes. that white  powdery stuff on the grapes is yeast, just put 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup luke warm water in a bowl and mash some of the grapes into it. after couple days strain out the grapes and continue. :)

yummmm ...

I split my one cup of starter into two and made a buttermilk loaf and two pie plates of cinnamon rolls this morning .. they are cooking now and smelling up the house wonderfully.  I hae had to wash my sourdough once, but really I fed it for what seemed like a week and it came back nicely.  Another thing I think I was overwatering it .. I used to do 1 c each water and flour to feed, now I only use 3/4 c water to a cup of flour .. that really helped.

We had our neighbor's dog disperse our flock this morning .. and take out at least 2 hens that we have found .. but we can't find any of them except for one red hen that ran back to the roost .. bummed

We just found the two roosters and about 6 .. Doug is going to try and get the other hen I just found in the woods ..  majorly bummed ..

bummer. I use to raise chickens. had almost 300 of such a variety it looked like a freak show lol ones with hats, bell bottoms on all sorts of funny chickens. that was years ago and I miss it so much. city girl now for the first time in my life and I hate it. by the way I do have a bread machine. I love it, not for the baking part though. I do that myself, but I allow it to do the stirring and kneading for me which my hands can no longer take from opening boxes for so many years. I take the dough out at the last rise time and do the shaping and all. the bread machine gives the dough the perfect  environment for rising , so room temp is not an issue. for that reason I love mine. also it's great for quick breads.

for those of you interested you can get some free sourdough starter just by sending a stamped BUSINESS SIZE.....IT MUST BE BUSINESS SIZE ONLY ENVELOPE  to : oregan trail sourdough p.o. box 321 Jefferson MD 21755. it could take as much as 5-6 weeks to get it. but it's free so no loss.

I took these to my next door neighbor, they lasted about 15 minutes. there are only three of them but they have a football player in the family. lol

post your roll recipe plez ... would love to make some ..

I can't post my recipes as they are at home and i'm in florida at this moment .. will have to wait til I get home ..

thanks ~

fresh from the oven! still warm. these are going with me tomorrow. my uncle LOVES homemade rolls.

RSS

Welcome Quilters!

MyQuiltPlace.com is brought to you entirely free as a service of the American Quilter's Society. We hope you enjoy meeting one another and sharing your experience and expertise. Enjoy!

American Quilter's Society

--Advertisement--

Badge

Loading…

© 2020   Created by American Quilter's Society.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service