Inspiring Quilters, Stitch by Stitch
Deadline: October 22
There’s room for 12 participants. CLOSED
Courthouse steps is a great block for beginners as well as experienced quilters.
You get to choose the colors of the two opposite pairs of steps. One pair will be your first color in dark and medium values. The other needs to be light-value fabrics. For example, if you want only cream and cream backgrounds for your light side please indicate that. The center square will always be the dominant color. Keep in mind when you choose your color(s) that most of us want to use things from our scraps and stash (for example, fushia might not be in all our stashes.)
Cut your steps in 1.5” strips. The first piece, the central block will be 1.5” square. (It is an inch when it is sewn to other strips.) The next set of squares will also be 1.5” unfinished. After that, the steps will be rectangles. Our blocks will be complete when they are 11.5”. That means there will be five steps on each side of the center square.
Use only all cotton, quilt-store QUALITY fabrics. If any of your blocks contain cheap fabric, you risk having me send it back to you in place of one of the ones made for you.
Before the deadline, you need to send a block for each of the other participants in their color choices along with a stamped self-addressed envelope for your new blocks. Blocks will be DUE no later than October 22nd! That means they need to be in my hands by that date! Late blocks will be returned to you un-traded. Please keep us informed about your progress. Half the fun of these swaps is our communication with each other. In addition, we need to be accountable to each other, so that we aren’t disappointed. If a circumstance arises that may hinder keeping your commitment let me or all of us know. We would like to find a replacement swapper or help you complete the project. We want to avoid disappointment for all of us.
1. Carla W. (Off whites/ creams, fall colors - no Halloween, please) dark for middle received
2. Jean M. (Pinks, grays for darks) completed
3. Connie W. (Off white, scrappy warms for darks) received
4. Kathy G. (Orange for light, blue for dark) blue in the middle received
5. Wilma S-K (off whites, reds) received
6. Ginny A. ( neutrals, scrappy darks & mediums) dark center received
7. Jean M. (pinks and grays) completed
8. Carla W. (Off whites/creams, fall colors - no Halloween, please) dark for middle received
9. Wilma S-K (off whites, reds) received
10. Connie W. (Off whites, scrappy warms) received
11. Kathy G. (Orange, blue) blue in the middle, received
12. Cristin M. (Orange and white)
13. Ginny A. (Neutrals, scrappy) dark center received
14. Cristin M. (Orange, white)
Going to work on this tomorrow. Maybe I can get 5 done and set aside.
Rearranged kitchen wall so I can have hubby paint a hidden star barn quilt on this board that holds my Kimberbell paper-pieced monthly squares. Well, I was thinking, wouldn’t it be fun to do a barn quilt swap. Maybe late in the year with a due date in 2019. What do you think? I would love to have a comfy quilt with 12 different barn quilt squares. I would be glad to host.
Either dark or medium dark...just so we know it is RED
Perfectly fine, I love it!
Perfect, I will put a sticky on it with your name. Off to make another.
Cool. I like it, Wilma.
- the barn quilt idea
Oh good. I will set up a swap for November due in Spring
What barn quilt idea??
carla, see above.