Someone, anyone, please tell me I'm not the only person with out a sewing room. I know it sounds silly, but I can't be the only person who quilts on the kitchen/dinning room table. Everywhere I look blogs, etc, makes me think that I am alone in the kitchen.

Views: 204

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I do have a sewing room in the extra bedroom. We put in a couple base cabinets and a countertop along one wall so I have a great area to cut and work. My husband also built my sewing machine table exactly the size I wanted and that would fit the room (way cheaper than purchasing a ready-built).   Now the big BUT... My quilt frame will only fit in the dining room so when I have it up, all the dining room furniture gets shoved back and stacked.   I'd love to be able to keep it up all the time and quilt each quilt as I finish it but there is just no place to put it.
I have a client whose Kitchen is the piecing area - dining room table. She eats in the living room. And I use my living room for the LongArm Machine; it won't fit anywhere else! My bedroom holds all the quilt accessories: fabrics, domestic machines, threads, tools, cutting table, storage.... Just happens to have a bed in there, too!  
No you're not the only one without a sewing room.  I do things in different places/rooms in my house.  It's seeing the result of my work that makes it all worthwhile.
My sewing room is anywhere I am.  I do a lot of hand quilting and take my work with me wherever I go.
Like Pam, my children are grown and gone and I do have a good size sewing room.  Even still, I prefer to sew in the dining room.  When the "kids" were still here, I used to joke that I have sewed in just about every room in the house but the bathroom.
I may not quilt on the kitchen table but where I sew is in the computer room, its a walk through room and it is where I  sew.  Yes, the children have to step over my quilts on the floor because that is my "design wall".  I would rather be around my family then in a room all alone with no interruption.  People are more important than quilts.  Don't get me wrong quilting is a passion of mine and I quilt as much as possible.
I may not quilt on the kitchen table but where I sew is in the computer room, its a walk through room and it is where I  sew.  Yes, the children have to step over my quilts on the floor because that is my "design wall".  I would rather be around my family then in a room all alone with no interruption.  People are more important than quilts.  Don't get me wrong quilting is a passion of mine and I quilt as much as possible.
In various homes I have used the kitchen table, the living room floor--literally with the sewing machine on the floor!!--my bedroom..My last house, when my DH and I got married 11 yrs ago, we put his two girls in one room and my two boys in another and we had a bedroom....i cross stitched in the living room and sewed in the kitchen. we moved 5 yrs ago when we finally bought our own home and the girls decided to live with their mom full time and my boys and our little girl each got their own room----I began quilting and started on the dining table until we got a new dining suite the next summer. the old dining table is now in our bay window in the living room, and i have claimed the back half of our huge living room for my sewing/crafts. I would like to say it is organized, but.....at least it is better than how it used to be, with fabric and supplies in plastic totes that I would shove out of sight anywhere I could when we needed to.....
I live in a fairly small apartment and the only space I have is the living room.  I set up in front of the TV and then I can watch a movie and sew.  And to hand quilt it is on the couch in the living room
I use my kitchen table to pin the layers of my small quilts before quilting.  I used my dining room table for quilting for years until my two older sons graduated H.S. and moved out of the house.  Now I have a sewing room, but I have a large quilting frame in the livingroom for the queen/king size quilts that I quilt by hand.  I am lucky that I have an understanding family.
Don't feel bad Jacqui, I didn't have a sewing room for years.  I would sew on the kitchen table, and have to clear it at meal time.  It wasn't until we moved into a larger house that I got a sewing room.  You don't have to have a fancy room to make a treasured quilt. 
I was just reading a quilt magazine where the editors shared about their sewing spaces.  I assumed they'd all have beautiful studios, but I was wrong!  The answers were as varied as they are here.  One lady even lives in a studio apartment and manages to quilt (that one really surprised me).  Anyway, just thought I'd mention it.

RSS

Welcome Quilters!

MyQuiltPlace.com is brought to you entirely free as a service of the American Quilter's Society. We hope you enjoy meeting one another and sharing your experience and expertise. Enjoy!

American Quilter's Society

--Advertisement--

Badge

Loading…

© 2022   Created by American Quilter's Society.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service