Do you ever make leader and ender quilts?  Do you use scraps or coordinate the fabrics?  I have done both.  I am getting ready to start a new one and I think all this recent discussion on scrap bins (thank you Beth :)) is inspiring me to do a scrappy one this time. 

I would love to know what other quilters do for leader and ender quilts.

If you do not know what I mean, or if you have not tried it, check out this link http://quiltville.com/leadersenders.shtml

Views: 1339

Replies to This Discussion

Smile!
I'm cutting scraps down now for a quilt for my leader ender project. I'll post pics tomorrow.

What size are we cutting? What pattern are we making? Beth, are you still in? And Chris?

I'm cutting down to 2 1/2". I'm going to work on Bonnie Hunter's My Blue Heaven. It's on her blog under free patterns. I've got my blue cut into strips and squares. Now to dive into the lights. I'm making a quilt for a friend as well, so when I get tired on cutting and sorting, I sew and vise versa :-)
Here's the before pic. Still not done,so my "after" pic may take another day or two. Potty training a little one takes up one's time as well! Phew! I'm too old to be potty training.
Attachments:

I'm going to do the Dancing 9 Patch. I have a lot of smaller scraps I think I can get 2" squares out of, and I like instant gratification. These would be great charity quilts for our NICU that my guild donates to. Also, left overs could go into smaller "quilts" for our Littlest Angel project for the county coroner. It's a sad but necessary project.

Sounds perfect! Please post pics so we can all encourage each other.

Woohoo, getting there!!

As if I can get my scraps to look this coordinated. LOL

:)) ...this is exactly how i sort and fold my strips, sorted into colors and different widths. if it's foldable & is a print/color that has more than one piece they are folded and go into color sorted boxes. single piecs go into jumbled unfolded color sorted boxes. some prints like stripes, plaides, & solids get sorted into individual stacks and boxes (if there's enough) ...i guess i enjoy sitting w piles of scraps, sorting and folding surrounded by my furball helpers :)) our quiet time.

Hello everyone.  Sorry I did not pop in on discussions here.  Was so busy finishing up customer quilts and quilt tops, along with my Birthday and quilt show with canning.  Thank goodness the weekend is over, but need more time yet to finish up other things that did not get done.  Just one more day off please.......

So now back to scrap talk.  I have most of my scraps sorted by size.  That is as far as it is going.  Size can work for me because then I can just grab a box and go with it.  I am almost caught up on tops that have been on my desk for a couple of months.  I do have a Onsie T-Shirt quilt to finish for a customer which won't take to long. 

I would like to do one of my UFOs that is a scrappy lone star quilt.  It was started so many years ago and will require my dedication to making a large mess to play with scraps.  I will scan a photo and show you ladies.  I think this would be a great project for me to use up a lot of these scraps I have. Unless, that is not the point of this Leader and Ender Scrap topic.  If not, I will go and check out which one of Bonnie Hunters quilts I want to make and then get going on that one.  I can make two, three, four, or ten quilts with my scraps. 

what are our guidelines?

Our guideline is have FUN!

I sort my scraps by light, medium, and dark. Bonnie has a chart that lists her patterns by scrap size. The pattern I chose is totally scrappy, and uses 2" squares or strips.

I do have some (slightly) larger pieces that are sorted by color that I can dip into as needed. I also seem to have a fat 1/4 addiction. LOL

And your rr quilt is awesome!

RSS

Welcome Quilters!

MyQuiltPlace.com is brought to you entirely free as a service of the American Quilter's Society. We hope you enjoy meeting one another and sharing your experience and expertise. Enjoy!

American Quilter's Society

--Advertisement--

Badge

Loading…

© 2022   Created by American Quilter's Society.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service