I have finished another quilt top, but I have no idea how to decide on the design for quilting! I'd like to quilt it on my sewing machine. It is a twin sized quilt. I'd love your suggestions on how you would come up with a design.

Views: 2421

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Audrey, when you use the Press & Seal, what toool do you use to mark it with? I've tried several pens and markers, but they tint my thread.
Kim did an awsome job showing off different quilting designes!!! If you want to try making your own just print out pictures of your quilt and/or block and draw your own designes. It is a greate way to decide on what to do! And if you take a long look at your quilt I bet it will speak to you telling just what design it wants;)

I have the same problem with many of my quilt tops - what to quilt, where and how densely? One reference book I have found to be full of great inspiration is "Quilting Designs from the Past," by Jenny Carr Kinney. It has over 300 quilting designs for blocks, borders, eight-pointed stars, strips, flying geese, Drunkard's Path, etc. i have the EQ7 quilt design software, and will recreate a purchased pattern in the software so I can play with fabric placement. I can also print out the quilt or block as a line drawing, and will use a pencil to sketch out quilting ideas on the line drawing.

Your quilt has some wonderful negative spaces that are similar to the centers of the Double Wedding Ring pattern, and there are several stencils available that would fit that shape and space. You have some lovely floral motifs in the border stripe - you could stitch around the flower edges, petals and leaves to accent those areas. Please post a photo when you get it finished!

I've never tried to make my own stencils on EQ wonder if I can do that with 6?  hmm, will have to explore that idea sometime.  Thanks!

yes...you can do it with 6. generally fr the book you can use the applique designs for stencils or freestyle draw on to 'board' then size for each blocks design. you can prob find better, clearer answer to your thought on the eq group page here at mqp.

RSS

Welcome Quilters!

MyQuiltPlace.com is brought to you entirely free as a service of the American Quilter's Society. We hope you enjoy meeting one another and sharing your experience and expertise. Enjoy!

American Quilter's Society

--Advertisement--

Badge

Loading…

© 2022   Created by American Quilter's Society.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service