I'm only starting out, so I don't have a huge fabric stash to draw from. When you started out, did you buy fabric quilt by quilt, or did you buy fabrics you liked and then create quilts from what you had? There are so many wonderful things out there, but this can be a really expensive hobby!

I'd love to hear how others have built their stashes.

Views: 2375

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

when I first started quilting I would go crazy in quilt shop,buying 1 yard of each thing,sometimes just 1/2 yard,over the years I had quite a collection of fabric that I never used.Now that I'm wiser I only purchase fabric for a project that I'm going to do.Usually when you first start if you have 1 yard it's usully not enough to do a planned project.The only exception is I buy landscape material for my collages when I see something I like.If you want to purchase something you like I would suggest you buy at least 2 or 3 yard of one fabric,that way you're usually ok for any pattern you plan on doing.
I am in the process of making a spider web quilt. The pattern is in Material Obsession 2.  It even uses scraps for the background. It is turning out to be gorgeous.  I highly recommend it as a stash buster.  I have attached what I have done so far. It is at the half way mark. It is sideways I don't know how to fix it here.
WOW!!!  I love it!!!  I love the pattern and I really love all of the bright colors!
I started doing this with strips last spring  at a 4 day retreat with my quilt guild.The one I did has every triangle of the spiderweb done with different colors so it's really scrappy. I started doing underground railway blocks but found the colors too depressing. I went back to the spiderweb and loved it. The bright colors are so uplifting. Mine hasn't progressed as far as yours yet but I can see how wonderful it will be by looking at yours. I did finish the railway quilt by doing one block every day and it is sandwiched for quilting, but just to get it done and out of the way.
In the Material Obsession 2 book there are two different spider web quilt designs, the one like mine and one in which each spoke is different and the background is of a common fabric.  I like both and will try the 2nd one at some point.  I would love to see your underground railway quilt, I haven't heard of it before.
You crack me up...the colors were too depressing!  LOL! Sounds just like me!  I don't think I have a single piece of depressing fabric in my stash :)

do my lovely beautiful blacks ....well...would they fall in the 'depressing' category???  ....but but i love black!!!! lollollollol

i adore black fabric! and black & white. and black & cream. and black & pink. and black & red. and black & gray. and black & ...

I agree completely. I buy Moda marbles in black by the bolt.. it makes the most excellent backgrounds for all the brights I love, not to mention makes pastels look heavenly.

precisely!!!! black and and and ....black is just so good with so much. for my son's quilt a few yrs back i bought a whole bolt of moda black...it was the truest black of all the blacks i looked at. the most fabric i have ever bought. but when i get my pieces of black out of stash - leftovers - i have poor success at finding black that will work with project in mind ...or enough of it if i do have one that will work. i am nearing the end of my beloved bolt and am toying with idea of buying another. well...maybe procrastinating is better term than 'toying' :))

that is absolutely gorgeous...excellent idea for scrapping the connecting blocks. mind if i borrow the idea. am also working on a small spider web. much smaller than your beauty though! :))

i know some quilters here that do that. and some of the rest of make out like thieves when they bring in the fabs that they bought to stash in to our weekly quilt gathering to give away. :))...books too and patterns.

i have a lot of fabric now ...but i 'shop' my stash before i 'shop' the shops....it is soooooo much fun to start pulling out pretties and laying them on the bed with the sun coming thru the bedroom window to shine and excite all the lovely colors and patterns. if i am lacking something that will give the project that special 'spark' ...then! i head out to 'shop' the shops...

omg...sometimes i think i love my quilting time more than i love my playinthedirtalldayeveryday!!!!! mania lollolol

RSS

Welcome Quilters!

MyQuiltPlace.com is brought to you entirely free as a service of the American Quilter's Society. We hope you enjoy meeting one another and sharing your experience and expertise. Enjoy!

American Quilter's Society

--Advertisement--

Badge

Loading…

© 2021   Created by American Quilter's Society.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service