I am afraid to make mistakes and making a mess. How do I put that out of my head. I am the type of person, who is a perfectionest.

Joyce

Views: 433

Replies to This Discussion

I am lucky not to be a perfectionist so I can just jump in and try anything. That being said I do own some really ugly quilts. But those are old ones and I still use them...the colors are great..just not in front of anyone :) But now I own some perfectly lovely quilts because I've practiced so much. Just do it...be like Nike.lol

Karen, you are so funny!  But inspirational.  My quilts are far from perfect, too, but they get better and better with each one.  I think it is fun to try new designs and challenge yourself.  

It's been a l-o-n-g time since I was a beginner, (one tends to forget those painful experiences in life-),but recently I've put my new mid-arm machine in a frame. I was under the assumption that I could pick up where FMQ left off' ,but alas, it's not so.My lines wobble, and my feathers have squarish lobes,but my background fills and freeform flowers are ok.I'm learning from tips I garner from the more experienced longarmers (for which I am SO grateful), and I've been "tweeking" my homebuilt frame system. The practice piece used for 7 days has come off the frame, and a new fresh piece of plain fabric with some rudimentary markings is now on. Stage 2, the first non-practice piece. This will cover a den chair to shield it from sun & kitty fur; not to be seen by company. Baby steps:)

Riana, I'm in the same place as you.  I got my mid arm and frame in January.  After MUCH practice and adjustments, I've completed four quilts, each one a little better than the last.  I'm really starting to enjoy it.  Plus, I'm taking Free Motion Quilting with Feathers on Craftsy, which alternates between a domestic machine and a long arm.  I have a Juki.  What are you quilting with?

Jenifer, I'm using a Bailey 15 pro quilter, and a frame that my dad & I built yrs. ago. I had used it with a heavy old Singer Industrial to do simple wave stitching on bedspreads for innkeepers.I've had to practically rebuild the frame for the larger throat, and I've added 2 bars , so it ressembles the commercially sold ones now. The old head was SO heavy, it was hard to stop/change direction it once it started on it's path down the track! Now with the 15" Bailey , I have 5" more throat space, and it is 40 lb. lighter.But controlling it is not as simple as I thought. I've done some nice FMQ with it on the table first, to get familiar with it. It's just a very basic machine. no computor, or even an "up/down" button (one thing I wish it had when on frame, as it's hard to reach the flywheel from the front).

my cousin went to classes for quilting. her teacher told her to abide by" the galloping horse rule''. which means if you can't see a mistake while galloping past it on a horse.....don't worry about it. lol  I like things to be perfect too, but the fact is.......the person who gets it is not going to notice. only you are. and NEVER point them out. nobody will see it unless you do.

Carla, that is so funny! I'm going to remember that the next time I'm sewing and it's not quite perfect!  Thanks! And it's so true, you are always your worst critic.

Riana, I looked at the Bailey's when I was shopping, too.  They looked like a good machine for the price.  I ended up getting my Juki used off Craigslist.  I don't have a computer either, but I do have the up/down button and a stitch regulator.  I've tried quilting with and without the regulator and haven't decided if I like it or not.  I have a hard time with outlining things.  My curvy quilting goes really well, though.  I just keep practicing, practicing, practicing!

Jenifer, next time you're outlining, try putting a rice bag or something similar right next to the back roller. (l learned this from watching Sharon Schambers video, )it holds the quilt right down on the machine bed, giving you more control than merely dropping down the back bar.

Thanks for the tip.  I will try it!

RSS

Welcome Quilters!

MyQuiltPlace.com is brought to you entirely free as a service of the American Quilter's Society. We hope you enjoy meeting one another and sharing your experience and expertise. Enjoy!

American Quilter's Society

--Advertisement--

Badge

Loading…