I have only made small quilts for two reasons.  One size is 16"x16" and I make those for the Alliance for American Quilts annual contest.  I also make quilts that are 9"x12" or less for the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative.  I don't know what else I could make small quilts for.

Views: 258

Replies to This Discussion

http://nin-dac.blogspot.com/

Newborns in Need Dallas Area Chapter collects memory quilts and demise wraps. I can't remember the exact specifications for these.  They are for the family's that have sick infants in the hospital or have lost an infant. Contact them through the link above and they can tell you the requirements. This is a really good group to get involved with even if you don't live in the area.

Thanks for the link.  From the blog I was able to find the main website with a list of all of the chapters;  I would definitely be interested in making quilts for them; I like making quilts to donate, but the only place in my area would be Project Linus.  For making kid quilts my preferred charity is "Quilts for Kids".  My other main place to donate to is http://www.alzquilts.org/index.html  I'm definitely going to look into making quilts for Newborns in Need; thanks for mentioning it!
Glad I could help. Not all of the chapters do the demise wraps. I know that the recipients are extremely greatful for recieving them.
I use my small quilts as candle mats and to protect furniture tops, such as my night stand or the buffet top.  I make doll quilts for Christmas gifts, but I make mine fairly large, about 17 to 20 inch.  This size is better for wrapping up a chubby baby doll.  Smaller quilts finish quicker and allow me to try different patterns and play with more fabric.  Have fun!

I have a hard time putting binding onto something small.  I sew my binding on by machine and I do the no-bulk way of finishing, but that way is really hard to do on a small quilt.  Are there other ways to finish the edges without having to put binding on?

Bridget:  This is a really late response, but may still be useful.

I've only seen this once, but it seems like an idea that would work for small quilts.  After the quilting is done, trim the front and back even with each other and about 1" outside of the last edge of the quilting.  Then, trim the batting 1/4 to 1/2 inch more, being careful to not cut the front or back.  Fold the front over the batting only, and press, then fold the backing in to be even with the front.  Then, carefully handsew the two edges together.  This is called a knife edge.

If this does not make sense (and there's a good chance that it won't) let me know and I'll try again.  Maybe I can find the photo I saw of this once on a different website and point you to it.

BTW, I had three quilts in Houston with AAQI, and two of them sold.  I have three more done and ready to mail, as soon as they tell me to. 

Leslie

That makes perfect sense, Leslie.  In fact, I have a book that explains that very technique and I've just never thought to try it.  I guess it's the handsewing part that gets me, but it shouldn't be too bad on a small quilt.

Congratulations on your sales!  Are you doing the 1K promise?  I was hoping to hit it, but I'm about 50 bucks short.  I have my November quilt of the month club quilt ready to go.  I can't hold on to them...I always gotta send them as soon as I finish one.

I'm ready to design one with a Valentine's theme.

Thanks again for the idea!

I have a few children's chairs, so I have my mini's and doll quilts displayed on those chairs, as well as on a small wooden step ladder.  I am looking for a small vintage doll trunk that I could use to display and store some others.  I have also made three for AAQI, and have just signed on to their one-a-month club.

I've been doing the quilt-a-month through the AAQI since they started it, and that's why I joined this group...so I can get some ideas.  I'm not really into art quilts, but since I can't seem to piece anything small, that's all I seem to be doing.  But I know I'm not very good at "art" quilts.  It's hard to think up ideas.  I wish I had a pattern to make something small so I'd not feel like I was staring at a blank piece of paper every time I make one of those!

By the way, do you have the link to your page?  Mine link goes to the $1000 promise page: http://www.alzquilts.org/wideman.html

I have been making small quilts for a long time, some I give as gifts to friends and family, but mainly I donate them to Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative.  The maximum size of the quilt is 9 x 12 inches.  I enjoy making quilts this size, they can be made totally sitting down, use only small amounts of fabric, and are making money for a very worthy cause which uses the earnings for grants for Alzheimer's research. The charity is made up of volunteers online.  Well over 8000 quilts have been donated. They are sold online, during monthly auctions, and other special sales, such as the sales made at the Houston quilts festival just recently.  A traveling exhibit is available.  It features 236 quilts. Long, narrow "Name Quilts" are made from 55 purple patches, each marked with the name of a person who has/had Alzheimer's disease or a related dementia. Hanging among the Name Quilts are 54 small format art quilts that tell the story of Alzheimer's from a variety of perspectives.  Three of my quilts are in that. I have donated over 300 quilts, they can be seen at http://www.alzquilts.org./arno.html   Look around the site, http://www.alzquilts.org./index.htm    The "See All the Quilts" page show most of the quilts and is full of ideas for these little quilts.   

Hi Audrey, if you read the post above this you'll see that I too make quilts for the AAQI.  Did you have any go to Houston this year?  I'm super excited because they took 7 of mine and 6 of them sold!    Are you doing the $1000 promise and the Quilt of the Month club?  I just started doing these about 2 years ago and I've just made 22 (two aren't yet showing on my 1K page).  Anyway, I signed up for the Quilt a Month club so I could make sure I'd at least donate one per month.

I especially enjoy making them so I can learn some new techniques.  I began making them because my now deceased father-in-law had just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.  His name is on one of the purple patches.

Oh my gosh!  I just checked out your page!  Over $18,000!!!!  Amazing!!!  I  especially love the one titled, "It Figures".  You must have had quite a few in Houston...I hope they all sold!

Yes, I had 38 go, but have 4 left unsold.  Still I think the 34 that sold made enough to make the total go over $20,000.   I have been doing the Quilt A Month too.  I noticed you have been very faithful to it.  I am waiting for numbers on some quilts one of which will be the Nov QAM.   Keep quilting.  

RSS

Welcome Quilters!

MyQuiltPlace.com is brought to you entirely free as a service of the American Quilter's Society. We hope you enjoy meeting one another and sharing your experience and expertise. Enjoy!

American Quilter's Society

--Advertisement--

Badge

Loading…