Inspiring Quilters, Stitch by Stitch
This thread will be to help you bust some scraps. It is always hard to calculate how much yardage you have in scraps. We will not count scraps into yardage, but by completed quilts. At that time, you should be able to tell if you busted some scraps. Personally I have lots of tubs, and I do mean the 50 gallon size tub full of scraps. Let us all be zealous to complete as many scrap quilts as possible!
I am breaking this into steps:
1. Decide on a pattern to make. Anything you want to make. Go to the Scrappy Quilts Thread and there are several listed there. Bonnie Hunter's website has several, as well as just doing a Google search for scrap quilts. I am sure if you are a quilter, you have a pattern or two for scrap quilts. If you find a good pattern, please share.
2. Sort thru your scrap stash and pull your pieces, colors, etc. You MUST use scraps. The only allowance is to be able to swap with someone a piece of scrap. If you need a few more browns, you may trade with someone. A scrap size is no bigger than a 10” piece of fabric. If you have a fat quarter, that is not a scrap. No, a layer cake is not a pile of scraps.
3. Report on your progress each step of the way. This will encourage all of us to get on the ball and join in the cause of busting some scraps.
4. If you can, and only if you can, post photos of your progress. If you can't post, don't fret please. It is just for us visual people.
5. Celebrate at the end of a completed quilt or project.
6. There is no actual start date so you may join in during the year.
7. No, you may not count a scrap quilt top that is all done and just needs quilting. I could fill this up real quick. The point is to start at the beginning and use up your scraps on hand.
8. You may use, only from your stash, up to 3 yards of a base fabric for your scrap quilt/project.
9. If you only use scrap fabric for your quilt, you get an extra bonus entry for the prize.
10. Orphan blocks may be used with your scrap quilt/project.
Your quilt(s) will need to be completed this year to qualify for a prize, unless yu have done the 365 Challenge, then it counts when done. Yes, there is a prize in the end. (Will be disclosed later) No, not more scraps. LOL. Quilters who have completed a scrap quilt this year, will have their name put in a drawing, and at end of year, will pull out of the hat and announce. Yes, you may do more than one, ten if you so desire. The quilt may be any size. Miniatures take time, baby quilts need detail, a king is awesome.
Riana (12); Beth (8); Ethelda (5); Carla (2); Gayle (4); Ginny (9)
for 2018 I would like to see smaller projects added to the scrap busting. like bowl covers, aprons, mug rugs, stockings, purses blah blah blah..... or anything else that uses scraps. I think that would be fun.
Hurry up, Carla,head on over to the 2018 scrap challenge!! Beth's already started on 2018 scraps, and so have l...and she mentioned doing those other projects you mention in the " instruction" part,lol.
Package for grand prize and all others are in mail. I decided I would send everyone who finished a project a surprise. Ginny has to come visit me again at the office to get hers. I forgot to give it to her last Friday when we had a nice lunch visit. She is such a dear.
The grand prize went to Riana. I am sure she will tell you all what it is. I can't say, would give surprise away.
Congratulations, Riana! You are definitely deserving with all you did in '17.
I think it is a little suspicious that you "forgot", Beth. LOL Another visit is more than okay with me, prize or no prize!
What is really bad, I have your Christmas Present at the office as well. LOL
Thank you Beth. Got mine and wasn't expecting anything so I thought it was an accidental order until I saw your name. Can't wait to dig into it.
That card is for a IQuilt Class online. I thought you would enjoy the paws quilt book seeing how you have been making some of them.
Thank you Beth for my book. I love it! Great ideas for hexies.
Beth and I finally got together for lunch today and I got my Christmas and my prize. This is so generous of you to give all participants something, Beth! I am a reader and got one of Jan Cerney's Mission Quilts series books. Can't wait to turn the pages! Christmas was a very thoughtful gift, too. You really are a Sweetheart, Beth! Thank you so much!