Like many of you, I still have far too much fabric in my stash, and, though I didn’t achieve my stash busting goals for 2018, I really did try. I’m game to continue the journey, and hope that you will join me.

Consider joining the group, whether you’ve been a Stash buster in the past, or not... whether you reached your goal, or not... if you are serious about reducing the amount of fabric that is on your shelves, in your bins and in your favorite hiding places.

As a group, our goal is to get the size of our stash UNDER CONTROL. 

I know that I will purchase fabric this year. Being a Stash buster makes me much more conscious before I add to what I already have. Do I really NEED it? Having to publicly declare a purchase makes me think about it... well for a few seconds, anyway! I am getting better. Little steps, right?

1.   There is NO NEED to count the yardage in your stash!!! (it would be way too scary, anyway!)

2.    You can sell, donate, or give away yardage to count toward your total.

3.   You are allowed to purchase new fabric. Just report that as yardage 'IN'!!!  He%20He.gif

4.   Though it is not necessary to report in every week (you can, though!), regular reporting is encouraged.

5.   We are always glad to see pictures!

The routine has been that I post the previous week's reporting early Monday morning in a chart. Participants respond to that post with their yardage IN and yardage OUT for the previous week. That information then gets posted in the following week's chart. You don't have to respond every week, but please respond regularly, even if just to report that there has been nothing IN or OUT.

The date to start your count of Yardage IN and Yardage OUT is January 1, 2018, or anytime you want to join in the fun

Some people count fabric as busted when the fabric is off the shelf and cut, others count once the top is together, and, I would guess, that others prefer to count once the top is quilted. Whatever works for you!

I hope that you have thought about your goal for this year. Realistically, how many yards of fabric do you think you can use up, sell, donate or give away??

The update chart will be posted once a month.

Membership is open to ALL.  Join in at any time you like.

Views: 2248

Replies to This Discussion

Very beautiful.

Beautiful!

Beautiful banner, Dee! 

Deanna, Nice quilt. I am interested in which Pelon you used in place of the batting.  One reason I do not make many wall quilts is because they do not hang well.  But I have used regular quilt batting and I think that is the major reason why they do not hang so well.  I am too much of a perfectionist I guess. I like to make the smaller projects but then am disappointed in the final piece because I want it to hang perfectly straight, and that never happens.  Thanks

Sherri, I do use batting for quilted wallhangings  and have had no problems with hanging, making sure they are square is the test so they hang straight. I tend to use either Quilter's Dream and/or Hobbs Heirloom, both cotton.  I am making banners for the liturgical year; ordinary time, Lent, Holy Week, Easter, Pentacost, Thanksgiving (feast) and Advent. Last year I did Easter and Pentacost, choosing these two to start with as the Easter and Pentacost seasons are both for several months leading up to the change in alter dressings. In both banners, I used a fusible interfacing (shapeflex) which is good in most things, but difficult in this dimension due to the narrowness of the interfacing. I felt like it was ok but I wanted it 'crisper'. I didn't go with the fusible this time and chose the Pellon sew-in ... which was good in the crisp department, but a real pain due to the stiffness of it (which I wanted), but hard to stitch in the directions as I wanted stitching in a radiant manner from the center of the cross.  This was difficult in the narrow throat of my home machine... however, we make do. So, with that in mind, I might go for the Craft Fuse next time.  These banners are approx 42x51-52  for the space I am working with. 

Great banner, Dee!  

This one was started in 2017 but completed last week. I have no idea how much fabric left my stash.  Using the number of yards the pattern suggests, I think about 10 yards left my space.  But new yardage for the backing should be arriving this week.  Don't think I have to count that as it will be immediately used for the backing and the quilt will leave for the long arm quilter.  The second project was just a play day,  and estimate maybe a yard or less was used on the owl hanging

That is a beautiful quilt pattern.   And that owl is adorable. 

Super cute! Both of the quilts.

Love both of your quilts, Sherri! The owl is adorable with the zig-zag fabric! Is that Carolina Chain by Bonnie K Hunter? Love your version! 

Thank you Deanna.  I guess I really meant in my comment about wall hangings not being straight,  was that I do not like that they are not Crisp,, as you p ut it... I think I will try the next one with something like what you have used to see it I am happier with the result.  I was watching Quiltig Arts this am, and the artist on today uses a cotton canvas as her backing with no batting on many of her pieces.  I liked the look of that,  but of course, there is no quilting on the piece.  So that is an idea as well.  

I am making both quilted and applique for these banners, so it depends on the look you want.  I also do all over quilting on the 'wallhangings' .. I did a Christmas one last year, batted and quilted, with pieced blocks and appliqued elves over the pieced tree blocks.  Depends on the 'mood'  :)  Harder to hide tails in anything w/o a batt  .. I hid all my tails between sunrise service and study yesterday. Was hard to get between the fabric of the top and the pellon .. but I finished in time for it to be hung, all that mattered.

Dee

RSS

Welcome Quilters!

MyQuiltPlace.com is brought to you entirely free as a service of the American Quilter's Society. We hope you enjoy meeting one another and sharing your experience and expertise. Enjoy!

American Quilter's Society

--Advertisement--

Badge

Loading…

© 2018   Created by American Quilter's Society.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service