I really did'nt relize what an air-head I really was until I started going deeper in the old stash.I have got boxes of basted applique peices that I don't even know what quilt they go to. LOL   Time to make new with something that was meant for something else, whats a gal to do

Views: 594

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

man o man do i suffer from this symptom. i get tired of working on the same thing sometimes so i "mess" with something else. that thing i ''mess'' with then becomes priority. then i think, no, i'm going to finish the other one first, then i'll come back to this one... so i go back to IT,  then a new magazine comes out and something else looks amazing and i think .... just one square........yeah right!! it's like lays potato chips ya can't do just one. but i do have a remedy for my problem........... so that i never forget what i was doing i make my own kits out of each project along with enough fabric to complete the project ..( including the ''just one square'' ones") i also include the instructions and quilt size. i also number the fabrics placement in the project,  if i loose it for a year or two i will know what i was doing. not only that but if something happens to me ....and it WILL one day....anyone else who quilts can pick up a kit and know what was going on. they will not have to guess. i don't know if that makes me organized in an unorganized way or a control freak, but either way it makes me feel better about my ufo disease.

Carla, I do that too.. sometimes I just buy a piece of fabric that I want to make into a quilt but don't have a pattern in mind..then I just put that piece and a few coordinating colors in a walmart bag and when I find a pattern I think would be great for that specific fabric, then I dig for right walmart bag and get started, lol. So, when I keel over, check the walmart bags, there's good stuff in them! I think right now I have at least 7 quilts going..not counting the ones that just need quilting.

THANK YOU!! just re-read thread,,,feel better and am trying adjust my attitude~back to kindof my ole self. I let my hubby's opinion of having too many ongoing projects influence me a bit too much maybe. I too, while emptying some cabinets, found items long ago forgotten...haven't touched a one yet, but they are piled on table top for attention. I'm going to start something new tonight and not worry so much. It is what it is.

I was attempting to finish some ufo's, but then purchased some wonderful wool yarn last month and crotcheting started calling me, I also want to learn how to knit, hubby says I have to do more projects to use up all the fleece he's brought home over passed couple of years.

Q: would like input from those w/some experience w/Fleece, IDEA #1-utilize for applique pcs onto cotton. IDEA#2-make mini quilts 1 side fleece w/cotton applique, fleece sewn right side to cotton, turn right side out, & then join these mini "potholder quilts" into larger unit? Would not go larger than 50x50- for sake of washing. thoughts? do's & don't suggestions/ideas? Note, usage is limited as it's a companies "scraps" from making jackets, etc. so very odd shapes & colors. I have made a few jackets with larger pieces. Also I have a few leftover rolls that I thought of using a backing for couple of simple quilt tops of my & my daughters clothing/items, then simple ties? HELP!

Danielle, fleece makes a great fill/backing for scrap quilts, they are warm and soft, perfect for snuggling under on the couch while watching movies or even to slip inside someone's sleeping bag if you have hunters/campers at your place. Piece your fleece, use all your leftovers from your quilts and make a scrappy top, tie em together, flip the edge for binding and call it good. I do the same thing with flannel (I do use a batting with flannel but fleece is much thicker so not always necessary) and my family loves getting them, they don't feel the need to be so 'careful' with them, lol. They can wash them a hundred times and not worry they are messing up an heirloom or something. Just remember, there is an exception to every rule and you can do whatever you darn well want to with your fabric.

uh...hmmm...need to put this delicately, after all it is a public forum. but, hmmmm, well, viki, can you let me know when you plan to "keel over" as you put it? sorta an advance note or some such...you do live a distance away from washington you see.

but daniell..i agree w viki - both her posts. do what you do. i am always amazed at the amount of interference..er. input fr husbands spoken of on here. note to self...never change. :)) the other day dh went out to his shop to play. good...i want some "sounds" so..cranked it up. phone rang "yeah?" "i can hear your music all the way out here." "yeah...so" click. :)) hubbys are nice to have around ...fun to hang out with..nice on cold winter nights...but they have no business in our crafty little universes. unless they can remain positive and support all our little meanderings fr one wip ro another and our stuffing a ufo into the deepest darkest corner of said universe.

now then, the fleece. i love fleece! it has sooooooo many out-side-the-box uses. so if you have an idea for an unusual or innovative is the word i prefer, use for it...go for it. and then of course ..you have to post pic and share w us your "helpers" :))

lol... I'll try and get a note out so you can at least get on the road

...hahahaha. and w that chuckle that woke the pup...i will wander back to the land of responsible adulthood. and thank you...the note will be recieved with the appropriate mix of sorrow (at your keeling over) and glee (at the closet diving adventure down the road).

lol.. sounds like a plan then

BIG SMILE on my face, thank you all !! I'm going to review my would love to make list, pull some fabric & crank my music-dh will be in woods trying to find deer~ I LOVE hunting seasons, just my dogs underfoot and no hubby,,,although must admit, he does tend to stay out of my zone:-) and I do feel a bit better as that fall outdoor to-do's were done yesterday.

@ Viki, I love your method to organize those UFO's... I have to put more effort & time into doing that, then I too won't feel terrible when the grim reaper comes a knocking on my door & someone else has to clear out my belongings,,,

Amazing how much one can accumulate over the years, and I am one who tends to refuse to part. However, am working on that, as we are planning on downsizing in 2-3 yrs...which won't be terrible as the "plan" currently is that I will have my very own building for sewing/crafting w/wood stove, etc....My hubby doesn't want to have to plan the new house around my quilt frame-which I have yet to actually use w/machine, but it does make a great place to drape stuff & move on to others. Which was another reason I felt pressure to finish up as many wips/ufos as possible, but in reality, either finished or not, they would have to be packed up, so doesn't really matter now does it?! heehee, thank you all and hope each have a wonderful evening :-)

go thru orvile's pics. i think is the one where i saw his strips nearly draped over the quilting frame. was in awe of the concept the minute i sW it. image has stayed bright and clear....location has not :(( ...graybrain ...i plead graybrain!

... and...

....can i come live w you? got my own chainsaw...i can be useful. i just want to sit in a cabin fit for quilting or whatever, by a warm wood stove. chair near a window to gaze out upon the frigid snowy ...whatever. stereo in cranked mode .... i am sure you would love my celtic war drums :))

Last year, I put all my UFOs and sample patches in a stack.  I went through them and and made gift bags out of all the ones that I didn't really want to finish.  I had a lot of Christmas left over patches and so made many gift totes of all random sizes and used instead of wrapping paper.  Instead of quilting, I ironed on fusible interfacing and sewed as totes with drawstrings. (Quilting/batting makes them too stiff, the fusible interfacing keeps all the seams flat and prevents unraveling.)  Everyone loves getting their presents in gift bags and think I made a special effort to do them, not realizing I was just clearing the piles of unfinished quilt tops, left over patches, sample patches, and patches with mistakes.  If you have an unfinished quilt top that you do not want to quilt, you can always cut it into smaller pieces and make several totes out of it.  I don't think that I will ever need to buy wrapping paper again!!

Hi Cindy, I have so many UFOs, WIFs, GBQPs, that I can't count.  My main problem is that I have quilt tops finished waiting to be quilted.  A friend in NC has taken on a few of them to quilt for me.  I usually finish the tops but have the problem of geting them quilted.  My health is a big reason - Am hoping that I will get some relief there soon - there is talk of a neuro transmitter - I had to see the shrink to find out if I was a good candidate and I'll find out the results of that visit MOnday... 

But this talk is about UFOs... I counted last year and had 20+ quilt tops finished - about 20+ quilt tops in some sort of shape needing finishing - and about 50+ ideas that need to be made into quilts - and 20+ kits all cut out waiting for the day that they get their turn to be sewn into quilts. 

Asking for small prayers that I am able to finish most of these before my grave finds me and someone else has the opportunity to finish them up for me... 

God bless, 

Thea

RSS

Welcome Quilters!

MyQuiltPlace.com is brought to you entirely free as a service of the American Quilter's Society. We hope you enjoy meeting one another and sharing your experience and expertise. Enjoy!

American Quilter's Society

--Advertisement--

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by American Quilter's Society.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service