I have a challenge which is rebinding an old quilt for a friend.  My first thought was to just go over the original binding, or I have the choice of cutting it off at the seam.  Have any of you done this before and if so, how did you do it?  The current binding has shredded because the daughter used to pull at it when she was going to sleep.  This would be a totally new experience for me and I have only been quilting for 1 1/2 years.  Maybe it should be done professionally - just don't know.  Marcia

Views: 2442

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The quilt that I was referring to was not an antique.  It was one my grandmother made for a cousin.  Since I was just cutting part of a border and since this was a tied quilt made from old clothes. I did not worry about losing the integrity of the quilt.  Had It been a true antique I would do it lie Betsy said.

I cant seem to get all your responses,(iphone, you know) and of course it is your decision to do as you please. Im just saying that that was how i was trained. Ive also bought ratty old quilts that had huge holes in them and where much of the fabric had disintegrated to the point where al i had was a rag. In that case i would make a pillow out of what was still good, or if i had one good block out of t
an entire piece, ive had the block framed. That makes a pretty piece of art and at least you are preserving someone else's workmanship and design.
I'm new to this wonderful forum so I'm not sure whether to post a new question on this discussion or start a new discussion. I'm going to do both. I'm rebinding a 1970's quilt that has been loved and washed a lot so that its corners are now rounded (or maybe they were originally made that way). Is there a different technique that I can use to sew the binding around the corners rather than miter them? There isn't a corner to sew onto, if you get my drift!

While I've never worked on a round edge, I've looked at many. If you pre-baste your binding, and then pull it in to an easy gather as you round the edge, and then do the same on the other side when finishing it, I think it will work. Like easing to fit a curved sleeve on a shirt or dress. I like to use a different color thread when I prebaste anything to gather it for an easy fit. Try it on a sample first, to see which direction works best for you.

I just think that you will end up w/ "soft" corners if you try to make them square, but I've been wrong plenty of times before.   Good luck, hope you find a good solution. 

Thank you Terry and Sue.  I ended up just gently sewing the binding to the slightly rounded corners and eased it in.  I don't know why it made me so nervous except that it wasn't my quilt.  But, the owner was so happy with the results.  She just wanted to be warm again!  Thanks so much!

Marcia, I've done this before.  Is the quilt hand quilted?  If it is, my recommendation would be to prepare a new binding.  >eave the old binding on the quilt.  Sew the new binding on a quarter inch above the old binding.  Then cut the old binding off.  This method helps to prevent the old quilting stitches to come apart.  You can do it. 

Oops, I'm sorry, I didn't realize this was an old post and the binding was done!

Glad to hear it got done. Was your friend happy?

RSS

Welcome Quilters!

MyQuiltPlace.com is brought to you entirely free as a service of the American Quilter's Society. We hope you enjoy meeting one another and sharing your experience and expertise. Enjoy!

American Quilter's Society

--Advertisement--

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by American Quilter's Society.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service