I too am rebinding a quilt from around 1970 but this quilt has been used, loved, and machine washed a lot! I told a friend that I would give it a new binding. Everything has gone well and I'm ready to sew the binding onto the quilt. By the way, I did not remove the original binding as I just didn't see the point. My question is, how does one deal with corners that have become rounded with age. In sewing my binding on, I reached the first corner and realize that I cannot create a crisp mitered corner as I would on a newly made quilt. Is there another technique that anyone can recommend for a more rounded corner?

Views: 71

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is very likely that the original binding did not have mitered corners.  The quilter probably used a bias binding and just "curved" it around the corners.  So your option is to either round the corners again or remove the original binding and miter the new binding at the corner.  I would base my final decision on how to handle the binding on what the owner's plan for the quilt is. If it an heirloom then I would remove the old binding and start fresh. If the desire is just to preserve it for future use go on with your original plan and curve the binding around the corners.

RSS

Welcome Quilters!

MyQuiltPlace.com is brought to you entirely free as a service of the American Quilter's Society. We hope you enjoy meeting one another and sharing your experience and expertise. Enjoy!

American Quilter's Society

--Advertisement--

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by American Quilter's Society.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service