Facebook, AQS asked "How old is your oldest machine?". We got so many responses we thought you'd like to answer that too. So, now it's your turn!

Views: 1194

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I also have a 99K; it is heavy- but I sure love that machine! it's a 1956- beautiful and stitches the most precise, beautiful straight stitch. my 'fancy' computerized machines do not come anywhere close to the precision of that little singer. when I work on lonestar's or any other blocks/quilts that really need precise, even, straight stitches I turn to my 99. I consider it the best $20 I ever spent! *and to think it competes (and wins) over the machine I paid over $7000 for!* ~~ that one is good for fancy stitching, speed~~has it's place; but when good even straight stitching is needed ,,,

Ok...... I am not sure which of mine is the oldest now as I can't find my list with the manufacturing dates so I will list them all.

I have 3 vintage Singers.... a 99K Serial #Ek926041... made in the 30 or 40s I think.

Featherweight  manufactured 10/28/1947 and a 301 black slant needle... from the 50's.

I have a 930 Bernina I bought new in 1986 and a Brother's 8500 I purchased in 1999. I use my Bernina the most as it is a work horse and I have made many quilts with this machine. It is one of the best for free motion quilting.

I  need to sell my 3 vintage machines and probably will soon  because of my eyesight and my age but I  will sure hate to part with any them.

I have recently acquired another vintage singer- its a *15-91* (I think that's the right numbers) I've had it completely gone over, my 'sewing machine guy' says it is stitching like new; and I had the cabinet refinished (the machine & cabinet had spent a number of years in an old leaky barn- was in pretty rough shape-including rust) so, I just got it all back the cabinet looks nice, the machine is beautiful- but I have not had a chance to sew with it yet- I hope it sews as nicely as the 99.

Colleen-I just found a 15-91.  It was in a barn too.  Dh cleaned it up, oiled it, luckily the cabinet had been covered so just a little murphy's oil soap and water and oh she sews such a gorgeous seam.  The Singer model 15s are the ones that the Japanese clones were modeled after. The majority of my sewing are on antique machines. 

RSS

Welcome Quilters!

MyQuiltPlace.com is brought to you entirely free as a service of the American Quilter's Society. We hope you enjoy meeting one another and sharing your experience and expertise. Enjoy!

American Quilter's Society

--Advertisement--

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by American Quilter's Society.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service