Hello everyone,

I am new to MQP, and just wanted to ask how many people listen to audiobooks?
my iPod classic has become a MAJOR key element of my life so to speak. I am NEVER without my iPod, even in bed I listen to my audiobooks for a short time while I wait to get sleepy.

I LOVE listening to series books, there are MANY authors that I like, and some that now matter how many books I have tried to listen to I just can't get into them. I try to give the book at LEAST until the middle/end of disc 2 if it hasn't "grabbed" me by that point I know it won't get any better for me so I just delete it and move on.

Personally that is about the only "form" of reading EXCEPT for all my quilting magazines and/or books.

Looking forward to getting to know you all and hopefully share new "reading" materials/authors.

Louise

Views: 188

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello, Louise,

I read a lot of books for work, so I enjoy audiobooks for pleasure. I can "read" while walking the dogs, folding the laundry, emptying the dishwasher, etc. I don't listen while I sew, though. We can download many audiobooks for free through our local public library. My daughter loves them too, and we often listen together on trips in the car or at home. We recently finished the third book in Richard Peck's series that starts with A Year Down Yonder, and now I'm listening to Life of Pi. (I haven't seen the movie.)

Hi Louise,

Since you are listening to Life of Pi and i'm sure you are enjoying it, do yourself a favor and see the movie. It is great, the special effects are fantastic. I loved it !  

l've never tried audio books, too busy listening to music. That said, l love to listen to Pat Sloan interviewing talented quilters & related subjects on All people quilt . com /radio show. lt's live on Mondays 4 pm. EST, but they have the whole play list so you can listen to back broadcasts any time:)

I am addicted to books on tape!  It started when I was traveling a lot.  When my husband got his cpac machine I couldn't get to sleep because of the noise!  I started listening at night too.  I have three library memberships--that translates to 9 books available per week.  Sometimes that is not enough.  I still read books also!  I am a mystery reader, but have been trying different author and genre lately.  Any good titles I would appreciate.  Happy reading!

Oh my that isn't many at all.

My local library is "County" wide also known as the "Library District". If however the books I am looking for are not available in audiobook from the district, then I do a "Prospector" search which will pull up STATE wide libraries. I can select as MANY audiobooks as I want to check out from our district and if I get from Prospector than I am limited to about 20 check outs at a time.

As for series, I LOVE series books. Right now I am listening to Kay Hooper's "Hagen strikes Again" I just start book 6. The series was originally published in the late 1980's. and each of them are approximately 5 hours long. Basically little short romance novels.

Some of the other series of books I have listened to over the years is the Fern Michaels "Sisterhood" series LOVED that series all 21 or so books.

Another series I did was Jayne Ann Krentz/Amanda Quick/Jayne Castle Arcane Society series, and Jayne Castle Harmony series. Loved the little dust bunnies featured in the books.

Catherine Coulter FBI series
Julie Garwood FBI
Tami Hoag mystery Deer Lake MN & Sam Kovac/Nikki Liska all part of the same series
Sherryl Woods Sweet Magnolias & Chesapeake Shores

Those are just a few series I listen to. To date I have listened to OVER 1000 audiobooks
since July 2009 when i got my first iPod Classic. I am now on iPod classic #2.
To say I put my iPods through the paces of use is a BIG understatement.

My biggest enjoyment is KNOWING I can multi-task with my sewing while listening toa book.

I seldom listen to music unless I know I am going to be in and out of the room OFTEN
which here lately has been the case with me moving desks and stuff around.

Don't know if/how you keep "track" of the books you read but I found a website that
I just LOVE called "fictiondb" it is a database for books, that is also how I keep up with
new books coming out by my favorite authors.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I love my iPod classic --I check out books on CDs from the library and download them to the iPod. I used to waste spend many hours just reading but now I can sew and "read" at the same time. My production has increased manyfold. It's great for putting me to sleep, too. 

This is so funny! I've never listened audiobooks before but since I'm an obsessive multi-tasked, i thought this was a good solution. I just ordered A Game of Thrones through Amazon & Tom Clancy's Executive Orders on eBay.
they have game of thrones in audio books?!?! hmmm....i may have to convert to audio books!

I want to join the club. LOL.  I listen to audio books while I clean the kitchen, cook, and sew and in the car.  I'm limited becasue I don't have an Ipod or anything like that.  I just get tapes (which my library no longer carries but I get through interlibrary loan) and CD's.  I can download on computer and copy to CD but don't very often.

Anyway, I've listened to Lynn Austin's Civil war fiction series.  If you like civil war fiction and inspirational fiction you'd love these.  "A Light to my Path", "Fire by Night" and darn, I can't think of the last one.  But they are all very, very good.

Right now I'm listening to "The Robe" which I downloaded from the library, 25 cd's.  and Civil War - The Conflict - again 25 cd's.  All of the Starbuck series of Civil War Fiction, oh and so many more.  It's just fun to listen and sew.  My favorite thing to do.

Hi Louise,

Somehow, it never occurred to me to listen to audiobooks while quilting.  I *do* listen to music a lot.  I think I'll look into the audiobooks too now.  What a good idea!

I do read quite a few books for my book club and just for me, but obviously it's not something I can do while quilting!  I'm not very tech savvy, so please tell me about your iPod.  I've been listening to music on CD's.  What kinds of books are available?

Since you like series books, have you read/heard Jennifer Chiaverini's Elm Creek Quilt books?  I have 13 of them and that's not quite all, I know.  I still haven't gotten around to reading the 13th one.

RSS

Welcome Quilters!

MyQuiltPlace.com is brought to you entirely free as a service of the American Quilter's Society. We hope you enjoy meeting one another and sharing your experience and expertise. Enjoy!

American Quilter's Society

--Advertisement--

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by American Quilter's Society.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service